Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Continental Airlines - Edinburgh - Las Vegas (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/continental-airlines-edinburgh-las-vegas-389626/)

Kers Jan 20th, 2004 10:42 AM

Continental Airlines - Edinburgh - Las Vegas

Planning on flying from Edinburgh to Vegas in the summer - Continental fly direct from Edinburgh - Newark and then we have to change for our connection to Las Vegas - we only have 1 hour and 15 minutes to get through customs, collect our baggage and then check in for our connection. Is this a realistic timescale.

AAFrequentFlyer Jan 20th, 2004 11:26 AM

I would not chance it. My rule for international connections is 2 hours. Many things could go wrong. Late arrival, Immigration and/or customs backed up(These are different times). Your luggage will have to be collected(it could take some time) and re-checked after customs. I really don't know EWR but I have a feeling you will have to get to a different terminal for domestic flights and go through security again. So, as you could see, there are many things that could go wrong. I would change your domestic flight for a later one, and if you do make the earlier CO will allow you to fly standby if there are seats available. At least this way, you will have reserved seats on the later flight and could possibly still fly on the earlier one.

Have a great trip!

Andre Jan 20th, 2004 01:02 PM

Kers,

You won't have to change terminals, but it's still too tight a connection for comfort - is that the last flight from Newark to Vegas? You should be able to schedule a longer layover and the Continental terminal has lots of shops and restaurants to keep you distracted.

Hope this helps,
Andre

Seamus Jan 21st, 2004 04:28 PM

Yes, it is a bit on the tight side, but if you are continuing through on Continental your chances of making the connection are better. After you clear immigration, pick up your bags and clear customs, you will re-check your bags with Continental right outside customs. They generally have a "fast track" line for flights leaving in an hour or less and do a good job of hustling to get the bags on board your connecting flight. You will have already received your boarding passes when you checked in at Edinburgh, so will just proceed to the gate for your LV flight. Do verify the gate, as it could have changed after you left Edinburgh.

Scott_G Jan 29th, 2004 02:18 AM

If travelling with Continental from Edinburgh, you MUST use the connecting flight CO268 departing at 1510. This will give you 2hrs 40 minutes connection time. You can use an earlier connection, but please note - the airline is not responsible if you miss your connecting flight, and have no obligation to assist you. If you have a restricted fare, this could leave you in a bit of bother at Newark.

Seamus Jan 29th, 2004 02:58 PM

Scott-
are you saying that if a CO flight arrrives too late to make a continuing connection that CO is not responsible to accommodate the passenger? Not sure that is correct...

WillTravel Jan 29th, 2004 08:18 PM

I'm not sure myself, but this is how I understand it:

Suppose the original flight is late, causing you to miss the connection. Continental will get you on the next available connection. However, if you have to stay overnight, and if Continental can say that the delay was weather-related, you are out of luck for expenses incurred. Also, if there are lots of full flights, it may take a while to get the next connection.

Anyone disagree?

clevelandbrown Jan 30th, 2004 07:44 AM

Willtravel: I disagree. I think that if Continental sold you the ticket, including the connection, they will delay you no more than 4 hours during certain periods, or compensate you. Thus, they will do everything possible to meet that window. I don't know why Scott G, above, asserts you must take a certain flight, and he cites no authority, but if Continental sells you a ticket with what you view as a too short connecting time, they are saying that the connecting time is sufficient and they will exert themselves to help you make the connection. Authoritive answers would be in the contract of carriage that is explicitly made a part of your agreement, even though not printed on the ticket. You can find that contract at their web site.

It is not uncommon that a flight will be held a few minutes while waiting for connecting ticketholders.