Connection times - Houston Bush Int'l

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connection times - Houston Bush Int'l

Phoenix-Houston – Continental 7am-11:41a
Houston-Heathrow – British Airways – 4:25p-7:35a

Never have caught an International flight out of Houston – do you think these times are doable going from domestic terminal to international terminal? These are separate tickets, so I won’t be able to check my bag through to my final destination which is Nairobi. Toying with the idea of flying to Houston the afternoon before, spending the night near airport and then taking the referenced flight – less stressful I know.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:23 AM

You'll have time to spare. You'll arrive in Term C or E, and leave from D. All are connected both above and below ground by train and by easy to navigate above ground walkways.

As for what to do with that time, lots of nice shops and restaurants in Term E.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Dana - probably would help if I had been more specific. You shouldn't have a problem unless your CO flight is really late. You'll pick up your bag in Term C (regardless of whether you arrive in C or E). Then I'd suggest taking the underground train from C to D, where you check in. Once you're checked in, you'll go upstairs to departure level and if you've got a couple of hours to kill, you could easily walk from D to E for the shops etc.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:45 AM

dana - oops. Check your ticket for departure checkin terminal. I think checkin for BA is now in E. If so, just take train from C to E, not D.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 11:34 AM

First of all, Continental <b>should</b> be able to check your bags to NBO in PHX. Just show your BA itinerary to them - it may take a few minutes, but it's definitely possible.

In that case, you don't need to claim luggage and no need to go through security again at IAH. With that much time, you want to have a leisurely lunch at Pappadeaux in Terminal E, above Gates E4-E8. C/D/E are all interconnected. Between some gates, you just walk. Between others, you may take the TerminaLink train between C and D/E.

Print out this map, or rip it out from the Continental magazine onboard:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../maps/iah.aspx

You should have already checked-in online with BA with boarding passes, so no need to get out of security to the check-in counter.

Now if for whatever reason, CO can't check bags to NBO for you, you still have lots of time. Like dfr4848 says, you will claim luggage at Terminal C, regardless of what gate your PHX-IAH flight comes in. Then take the underground train (which is a separate system from the above-ground TerminaLink) to D/E. It's the same stop. E is directly above the train stop, D is connected via an underground walkway.

The issue is that BA most likely won't have check-in counters open until around 1:25p. And there's no place to eat at IAH outside security. You should instead take the underground train the other way to the Marriott to have a nice lunch, and then go back to check-in at BA later on.

The CO terminal map I link to doesn't show the underground train, and doesn't show the Marriott, but it's located in between B &amp; C.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks dfr4848 and rkkwan for your quick responses. I should have phoned Continental airlines first and asked the question “will I be able to check my bag all the way to final destination”, the reason I posted my question here. I had heard that if you have two separate tickets you would have to claim your luggage and re-check for the next leg of your journey. Continental said no problem when I phoned them this morning – I just have to show my British Airways ticket to them and bag will be checked to Nairobi. There was NO way I could have lugged my 33 pound non-wheeling duffle from one terminal to the other even if traveling by train with ample time.

Thanks rkkwan for the dining suggestions. We have a Pappadeaux in Phoenix and I love their food so may stop there at least for a ‘light’ luncheon salad.