Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Connection Times for International Visitors (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/connection-times-for-international-visitors-782481/)

AxelNight May 3rd, 2009 05:17 AM

Connection Times for International Visitors

Hi there,

Im flying from heathrow London to Orlando Via Washington. Expedia has given me a 1Hr 12min connection time. Will I have enough time to transfer. Im flying with United airlines.

Axel

MikeT May 3rd, 2009 05:46 AM

It's going to be tight.

rkkwan May 3rd, 2009 07:40 AM

Immigration lines can be long for visitors, and you still need to claim bags, get out of customs and reclear security.

United has 4 LHR-IAD flights a day. Try to choose something with a longer connection.

CarolA May 3rd, 2009 07:40 AM

I would want more. I assume by via Washington you mean Dulles? The problem there is that there are very few actual gates so you oftne get "bused" in and out to planes and that eats up a chuck of time. It's just not a very efficent airport IMHO!

And there's Passport control......

I would want at least two hours!

J62 May 3rd, 2009 07:47 AM

There are 4 daily UAL flights from London to Washington, and 6 daily flights from Washington to Orlando.

If you are on one of the early flights into Washington then UAL can put you on a later flight to Orlando should you miss your connection.

Will you have checked bags or not? Upon arrival in Washington you will wait in line for immigration, then either immediately collect or wait longer for you checked bags, exit through customs, then drop off your checked bags, proceed to the departure gate - you must pass through security again.

If you are not a US citizen/perm resident then the wait at immigration may be the determining factor.

If you don't have checked bags then you can skip any wait at baggage claim.

As long as I knew there were later same-day flights to my destination I personally would book the 1:12 connection. Your risk tolerance may be lower than mine.

On several instances where I knew I had a very tight connection I've not been shy about politely seeking help from airline personnel to bypass a long line. They can definitely help at security to get to your Orlando flight - not sure if they can shunt you to a shorter line at immigration. It doesn't hurt to ask if it looks like the line will delay you too long.

CarolA May 3rd, 2009 11:53 AM

Well J62 must be luckier then most. I have watched folks try to get to the front of lines in ATL due to tight connections and polietly but firmly get told "BACK in line"

And to be honest.... if they let you in front it tends to become a snowball effect, now my time is short and I need to move up and so on. Generally it's not safe to assume you will get moved up in the line.

Jeff_Costa_Rica May 3rd, 2009 12:05 PM

I'd be uncomfortable with such a short connection.

I agree with CarolA too. There is no reason you should assume anyone will let you go to the front of the line. You shouldn't expect it either.

Debi May 6th, 2009 01:50 PM

When you land at Dulles, they split the passengers - 1) those staying in Virginia, and 2) those with connecting flights. You will not be mixed with the folks staying in Virginia so you're not going through customs with people that aren't in a hurry. That being said, I would go for a longer connection time. After flying from London, I would want to be able to unwind a bit. See if you can get the next flight to Orlando...

tinabina May 8th, 2009 12:40 AM

IMHO..I agree, change to a longer layover. (We were the running, crazy, stressed out travelers trying to make the next flight. Which we made by the skin of our teeth and the disapproving looks of many! Insult to injury...our flight was delayed!!Aaaagh!) Save yourself the headache.