Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   connection time in Houston (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/connection-time-in-houston-490423/)

nibblette Dec 12th, 2004 06:03 AM

connection time in Houston

Traveling to Costa Rica on Continental via Houston. The time between flights is 56 minutes, with a 90% on time record. I can't remeber what IAH is like but I thought it wasn't too big.
Should I risk checking in luggage or just do carry-on? I will only have a 22" bag. I just find it easier to check-in over carrying on (don't have to worry about finding space for luggage or bumping into people with luggage). If you all think it's too short for the check-in luggage to make it, I'll just live with the incovenience of carrying on. Thanks!

rkkwan Dec 12th, 2004 06:36 AM

If you can make the connection, chances are that the bags will make it. If the bags won't make it, chances are that you can't make it yourself.

Which means, I really wouldn't worry about your bags.

Also, note that there's a new walkway open between Terminal D and E at IAH, which isn't reflected on the terminal map on continental.com yet. It may save you a lot of walk, especially on your return trip where you should be arriving at Terminal D.

rkkwan Dec 12th, 2004 06:40 AM

BTW, CO's operation at IAH is now <b>humongous</b> spreading over all 5 terminals. The walk from one end of a North Concourse at C to the end of E (e.g. from gate C18 to E20) is probably over a mile long, and will take 20+ minutes to just cover that. [Which is another reason why checked luggage is better than carry-on.]

And if you're arriving on a regional jet, then you'll be using Terminal A or B, and require a bus/train transfer (no security) to C/D/E.

nibblette Dec 12th, 2004 06:55 AM

Thanks so much, rkkwan. I feel better about checking my luggage.

Follow-up question, I have 2 hours between flights at IAH on the way home. I know I have to go through customs &amp; immigration. Will that be enough time for me to retrieve my luggage, go thru customs/immigration, and then security again? I'm leaning towards taking my luggage on board with me to cut down on the waiting time then.

rkkwan Dec 12th, 2004 07:21 AM

2 hours should be plenty, especially if you're US citizen/permanent-resident. It may also depend on the time of your arrival, but our family never have to wait too long to clear customs at IAH.

But yes, having just carry-on means you don't have to wait for the bags, and will put you in front of all the others on your plane who have to wait for them.

Again, with 2 hours, you shouldn't have a problem either way.

You'll be arriving at Terminal D on your way back. If your new flight leaves Terminal E, use the new walkway. If your flight home is on a regional jet and departs Terminal B, you can walk back to C and take the new Terminal Link, or you can use the old underground people-mover straight to B. Either way, you'll have to reclear security.

SamH Dec 12th, 2004 08:13 AM

Hi Niblette. I would be comfortable with the time you have. I use CLE often so im on Continental alot. They seem to run a lot of connections with narrow windows, but I have had very few close calls and no missed flights in a long time with them. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I would check my bag and relax.
sam