Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Connecting flight - 1 hour 10 minutes pushing it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/connecting-flight-1-hour-10-minutes-pushing-it-874652/)

SashieZ Jan 22nd, 2011 06:38 AM

Connecting flight - 1 hour 10 minutes pushing it?

Flying Newark - Lisbon arriving 8:20 AM Continental . I want to take the 9:30 AM flight to Funchal Madeira with Tap. We do not check bags but I believe Tap is in a different terminal. Should I book the 12:45 flight instead? If we arrive early what are the chances of being able to get on 9:20 flight?
thanks!

Gardyloo Jan 22nd, 2011 06:54 AM

The shortest legal connection time shown on the Star Alliance timetable for Newark - Lisbon - Funchal is 1h45m, so I wouldn't risk it. Are you planning to travel on two separate tickets? Why?

P_M Jan 22nd, 2011 07:47 AM

If you buy this route as one ticket then you miss your connection the airline will rebook you at no charge. It's happened to me more times than I can count. But if you buy two seperate tickets then you miss the next flight you might have to buy a new ticket for your next flight or pay huge fees to change. Since this would not be a legal connection anyway I think you are taking a huge and unnecessary risk.

I would also like to know why you are purchasing 2 seperate tickets.

SashieZ Jan 22nd, 2011 09:01 AM

I purchase the first leg of the trip months ago upgrading using miles. At the time I planned on staying in Lisbon and then driving to the algarve. I had no intention of going to Madeira. But after reading about Madeira and reading some negative things about the algarve, decided to change my itinerary. What I will do is book the 12:45 flight. If we happen to get in early I'll try and change to the earlier flight.

Thanks very much.

P_M Jan 22nd, 2011 09:46 AM

Madeira is fabulous, I was there in 2006 for a wedding. It's one of the prettiest places I've ever seen, I think you will love it.

SashieZ Jan 22nd, 2011 09:55 AM

Thanks P_M....I chose it because it sounds like Hawaii. What a great place to get married (I wish one of my friends would get married somewhere fun!)

alanRow Jan 23rd, 2011 03:04 AM

"I chose it because it sounds like Hawaii."

It isn't - the only link is that both are islands. The highlands are certainly nothing like Hawaii & you won't find a single beach on Maderia. It's an island for people wanting adult (not Adult) things like good food and an easy life or people who think that walking around in cloud along water channels is the height of ecstasy.

And what negativity about the Algarve?

P_M Jan 23rd, 2011 05:58 AM

Actually it did remind me of Hawaii. It is true that I never saw sandy beaches in Madeira but it's similar to Hawaii in the landscape, the flowers and the crystal blue water. The Hawaiian islands are not all the same. Kauai has the most flowers so some people say Madeira looks like Kauai.

SashieZ Jan 23rd, 2011 08:32 AM

I think it is like Hawaii - except no sandy beaches. But the upcountry in Maui and "the road to Hana" seem similar to Madeira...the waterfalls, the cliffs, gorgeous quiet landscape and scary driving!

I'm sure the Algarve is beautiful as well. I can't put my finger on why I wasn't excited about going...maybe because it seems very built up and resort like, a place to visit in July when one can enjoy the beach.

P_M Jan 23rd, 2011 09:09 AM

Perfect example SashieZ, the road to Hana looks very much like parts of Madeira especially the drive to Porto Moniz. I hope you will make the trip to Porto Moniz, that and the road to Hana are the best drives I've ever taken.

rkkwan Jan 23rd, 2011 09:45 AM

Sorry for going OT, but this thread really makes me want to visit these islands some time. I had always been fascinated by the names of places in Azores and Madeira, as the Jetfoils between Hong Kong and Macau are named after them - Flores, Madeira, Pico, Santa Maria, Sao Jorge, Funchal, etc. :)

SashieZ Jan 23rd, 2011 11:33 AM

Yes, Porto Moniz is on my list. My husband would rather not travel so I'm always looking for places that will make an impression. He is a big fan of Hawaii so when I read about Madeira I knew we would have to visit.

SashieZ Jan 24th, 2011 03:53 AM

P_M - if you have any other recommendations or not to miss I would appreciate it.
thanks