Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Combining star alliance tickets if purchased separately. (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/combining-star-alliance-tickets-if-purchased-separately-1469592/)

jacketwatch Aug 31st, 2017 08:09 AM

Combining star alliance tickets if purchased separately.

Hello: We are flying UAL ORD-LAX R/T which I purchased and LAX-SYD R/T on Asiana which I acquired thru ff miles. I know I can't book our bags to SYD as we have some time in LAX. However can we book our bags from SYD to ORD on the return? We have three hrs. connection time or as this is the port of entry do we have to get our bags and go past customs/immigration first and then reboard our flight home?
Thank you.

newtome Aug 31st, 2017 08:19 AM

As LAX is your first port of entry you will collect your bags there re check them and re board.

jacketwatch Aug 31st, 2017 08:28 AM

Thank you.

Do you know if there is an expedited line for those having to connect?

Gardyloo Aug 31st, 2017 08:52 AM

Checking the bags through to Chicago will be at the discretion of the Asiana agent at SYD. They <i>can</i> but they don't <i>have to</i> since there are two tickets and PNRs. Be sure you have complete details (locator code, ticket numbers) for the United flights when you get to SYD.

If your bags are through-tagged to Chicago, at LAX you'll go through immigration, then claim bags and go through customs, then re-check your bags at a re-check counter once you exit the customs area.

Asiana uses the Tom Bradley International Terminal at LAX and United departs from Terminals 7 and 8, so you'll need to get to the United gates. If your bags are checked through, you can walk <i>inside security</i> to T7/8 (look for the signs.) If your bags <i>aren't</i> checked through, you'll have to go "landside," i.e. outside security, and make your way to T7/8 - probably a 5-10 min. walk once you're on the street (or you can use the shuttle buses, which I personally find to be a pain.)

Either way, United isn't obligated to honor your ticket if you turn up late (Asiana flight delayed, long queues for security at T7/8 if you have to come from outside, etc.) so I hope you have LOTS of time between the arrival of your flight from Seoul and your departing flight.

jacketwatch Aug 31st, 2017 09:14 AM

We have 3 hrs. When originally booked it was around 5 but flight changes since have shortened it to 3.

mrwunrfl Aug 31st, 2017 09:43 AM

Global Entry would get you through immigration more quickly and it gives you TSA Pre-check.

kawh Aug 31st, 2017 09:59 AM

Global Entry... yes. We just returned from Europe and our flight was late. They assured us that someone would walk us through our very tight connection (ours was the tightest on the plane, and we had flown business)... but nobody helped us in any way. Long, long line. Asked twice and showed my Global Entry card, but directed to the line. Husband asked the right person, who directed us to Global Entry machines (there was no sign we could see) and there were at least 8 empty machines. Zoomed through. Saved us!!

If you don't have GE, think about the Chase Sapphire Preferred and get a lot of miles... costs $450 (?) but get 300 back for any travel and they pay the $100 GE fee... so it's realy only $50 the first year. This was the only reason we ended up having GE this trip and we were super glad to have it on 2 occasions.

jacketwatch Aug 31st, 2017 10:38 AM

It's the Sapphire Reserve actually though I know it can be confused with the Preferred. My wife has it and got 100k miles though that offer had expired. It's 60 k now I think. How does one get
GE and what is the cost? Also if we get it how does it work? Are there special lines? Thank you!

yestravel Aug 31st, 2017 11:50 AM

GE is worth every penny. It costs $100 for 5 years. The 5 years start on your birthday. I've never had a line with GE -- there are Kiosks only for GE and you answer a series of questions, scan your passport and fingerprints & zip thru. I have trouble with my fingerprints registering and I have to go to an agent, but that only takes 5 extra minutes. TSA precheck is included.

You go online sign up and will get a pre approval at which time you make an appt at a center. I've read some centers (generally at airports) are backed up with appts. The appt is a series of questions and they take you fingerprints. Mine took maybe 10 minutes total. Got the approval and GE# via email quickly. A card and other info comes in the USPS.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ntry/how-apply
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...entry/benefits

jacketwatch Aug 31st, 2017 02:10 PM

Thank you. I'm going for it!

kawh Aug 31st, 2017 02:49 PM

jacketwatch- YES... saphire RESERVE... sorry. just FYI, once we got approval for an appointment, we found that the SFO office was backed up 4 months for appointments. We happened to be flying to NYC and checked that office, and got an appointment easily for 1 month out. Actually landed early, and they were able to take us 30 minutes before our appointment times.

jacketwatch Aug 31st, 2017 04:01 PM

I spoke to a friend here (Chicago area) who got one not too long ago and it took about 1 month. She had to go to O'Hare in the international terminal to interview. We leave end of Nov. and I will apply tomorrow.

We use the Reserve card for our Ipass for tolls too as that goes to that $300.00.

Thanks!

jacketwatch Sep 4th, 2017 09:21 AM

Kawh; We both applied for the GE card and paid using the Reserve card and yes as the card is in her name her fee was waived and it does not go towards the annual fee. Very coo!

kawh Sep 4th, 2017 10:37 AM

Jacketwatch... That's great. Also I will say that I thought the Aiirport Lounge Pass offered with the card was going to be lame... BUT I found myself stuck 4 hours at LAX on a delayed Alaska Air flight and the lounge was amazing!! Pretty and peaceful.. great bar and some healthy snacks like salad.

Glad to hear you're getting the GE. I didn't get TSA pre-check going out (husband did) but showed my card and walked through security with him. It was really nice.

jacketwatch Sep 5th, 2017 07:39 AM

Hmm. We will be flying got of LAX in Nov. and can use that or the UAL lounge. I wonder how they stack up? I'll try to find reviews.

Thank you!

mrwunrfl Sep 6th, 2017 07:38 AM

You do need to put your GE number, your PASSID, (a type of KTN, Known Traveler Number) into your reservation if you want the Pre-check to be on your boarding pass.

Enter the number into your profile at airline and TA websites that you use and it will be put into any reservation automatically, but double check that it is there.

If you mess up at the Global Entry kiosk, that is ok. There is a CBP agent who will look it up for you using your passport number. That agent will then send you to the front of the line for another agent who will process your immigration. This has happened to me three times.

I don't have a GE card, but of course you should take it with you if you get one.

Take your KTN with you. The airline (B6) will probably not be able to look it up for you even if it is in your profile and you used on a flight with that airline the previous day. Calling the feds won't help.

I don't know why I didn't get Pre-check that time with jetBlue. It is in my profile and it was on my LGB-LAS boarding pass but was not there on my bp for LAS-LGB the next day.

I think that what happened was that I accidentally deleted it from the return flight. I was double-checking the info for the trip the day before and wanted to be certain that the number was entered. But the info page just shows "****" in that field and I wanted to actually see the number, so I clicked the link and was given a popup to enter the number. I think that by cancelling that popup the KTN was removed from that leg of the trip.

yestravel Sep 6th, 2017 08:02 AM

As I understand it upon occassion they will randomy take Precheck people and not give them the Precheck line. It's never happened ot me, but i have read that its a security check.

Why would you take the card with you? I never do that. The number is encoded on your passport.

kawh Sep 6th, 2017 09:29 AM

My GE number is not on my passport, I don't think... Got the card separately and have different expiration dates.

yestravel Sep 6th, 2017 10:32 AM

I got curious on the GE card -- here's a good explanation from the Points Guy.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/02/glo...d-when-needed/

mrwunrfl Sep 6th, 2017 12:03 PM

My GE number is not on my passport. The only thing that they did after I got GE was to put a sticker "CBP" on it. It is not good for anything today, if it ever was, and they don't use the stickers anymore (according to an agent at the CBP office at the LAX TBIT).

The only time a card was an issue was when leaving Toronto. The TSA agent wanted to see my card when I entered the special line, but I insisted and she let me through without it.