Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   CLT to CDG - Charlotte to Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/clt-to-cdg-charlotte-to-paris-782264/)

mjh123 May 1st, 2009 01:50 PM

CLT to CDG - Charlotte to Paris

just booked Orbitz tickets.
traveling DC-Charlotte-Paris
just realized (duh) that we only have 1hour and 15 mins to get from our DC-Charlotte flight to our Charlotte-Paris flight.
think that is enough time??
i'm worried...

Kyliebaby3 May 1st, 2009 01:52 PM

I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't remember the Charlotte airport being gigantic. There are five concourses though, so which airline are you flying?

mjh123 May 2nd, 2009 08:21 AM

that's good to hear. thanks. we're flying US AIR in and out.

pavot May 4th, 2009 09:36 AM

USAirways has a nonstop to Paris again? Do you mind my asking when you are flying?

I am being nosy because I have been trying to find flights to Europe that won't require me to stop anywhere else first. Atlanta has plenty; Charlotte not so much.

doug_stallings May 4th, 2009 12:24 PM

It's going now. However, just be aware that the flight is on a 767. It's a pretty cheap flight right now ($567 round-trip leaving tomorrow, for example).

rkkwan May 4th, 2009 08:04 PM

USAirways fly non-stop CLT to LGW, FRA and CDG. Lufthansa flies MUC-CLT.

You can't really compare CLT to ATL, which not only serves a larger city, but is the busiest airport in the world and the main hub and main trans-Atlantic hub of the world's largest airline.

CLT is not even the largest trans-Atlantic hub for the #6 airline in the US.

pavot May 5th, 2009 07:21 AM

Oh, I see it now -- it won't operate after the middle of October. I was looking for later in the fall.

I live close enough to both Charlotte and Atlanta to drive to the airports when needed; Charlotte is indeed a much smaller airport and that much easier to navigate. It's pretty nice they have nonstop transatlantic flights at all.

Thanks for helping me out.

Brian_in_Charlotte May 5th, 2009 07:35 AM

CLT is the 11th busiest airport in the country, but I agree that non-stop international flights are lacking. I hope the new CDG service is supported.

UNCalum May 7th, 2009 04:38 AM

As I often fly Charlotte to Paris, I'm happy that we now have a non-stop option. However, I noticed the comment about the aircraft being a 767. Is this a negative and, if so, why?

doug_stallings May 7th, 2009 05:56 AM

I've always been a little hesitant to try the domestic airplanes that have been converted for international service. I just had an abysmal flight (thankfully relatively short) on a 757 to and from Panama and Costa Rica configured for regular domstic travel. However, the Delta 767 gets some not bad reviews, so I might have to revise my opinion. The seats are leather, I think. These are mostly the reconfigured Song aircraft.

rkkwan May 7th, 2009 06:45 AM

USAirways 767s are significantly older than their A330s, and are mostly held together with duct tapes. But that's just USAirways.

tdyls May 8th, 2009 02:57 AM

For a major international airport, CLT is pretty small. Assuming that your DCA-CLT flight isn't late, you should have sufficient time to go from concourses B, C, or E to concourse D (the international concourse). All 5 of the concourses converge in one central atrium, so going from concourse to concourse is very easy. No going back through security and no taking a train back to DCA to get to your gate.

Concourse A is used by all other airlines (DL, CO, AA, etc.) except Jetblue.

mjh123 Jun 2nd, 2009 01:21 PM

thanks for all of your advice. we made our flights both ways with no problem. and it seemed to us to be a very new plane that took us back and forth to paris. much newer than other trans-atlantic flights we've taken on US Air out of Philly. thanks again!

pavot Jun 3rd, 2009 11:30 AM

Thanks for reporting back, mjh123 -- I love it when posters do this.