Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Cimber Air, Norwegian Air Shuttle or Vueling? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/cimber-air-norwegian-air-shuttle-or-vueling-921585/)

WorldGallery Jan 27th, 2012 06:35 PM

Cimber Air, Norwegian Air Shuttle or Vueling?

We found out today that our one way flight from Barcelona to Copenhagen was canceled due to Spanair going bankrupt. We are a family of 7 needing a one way flight from Barcelona to Copenhagen in June. I do not know anything about European, domestic airlines so I am hoping to get some feedback regarding 3 airlines that have non-stops flights - Cimber Air, Norwegian Air Shuttle or Vueling? Which one is the best option?
It is hard to compare "apples to apples" because of bag fees and seat assignments fees. It seems that all 3 are very close in price but price is not our main priority. Should any of these be avoided for safety or any other reason. Also, we are hoping to be able to get assigned seats since our kids are ages 10-17.
Thanks.

qwovadis Jan 28th, 2012 03:36 AM

vueling.com on skyscanner.net always best price pointsfor me in the past.Nice planes airlinequalty.com for reviews on all.

qwovadis Jan 28th, 2012 03:38 AM

Did NAS from BUD PAR once ok
not great EXPENSIVE
Vueling.com always cheaper.

qwovadis Jan 28th, 2012 03:45 AM

Looks like 59 euro CPH BCN vueling.com non stop your best bet

WorldGallery Jan 28th, 2012 07:12 PM

Thanks for this info and these links. I was on skyscanner yesterday and couldn't figure it out. Does it link you to the airline directly to book or can you book on Skyscanner?
I am kind of worried to book again on another airline wondering if they too may go bankrupt. How long has vueling been around? Thanks!

WorldGallery Jan 28th, 2012 07:14 PM

One more question about Vueling. Can you purchase assigned seating? I have 5 kids and don't want them to be all spread out on the plane.
I need to go check their baggage fees and weights also. Do you happen to know them?

travelgourmet Jan 29th, 2012 05:03 AM

Cimber has had a lot of financial problems, so I'd be cautious wit them. Their in-flight product is also pretty weak. Cool, retro ads, though.

Norwegian is a solid airline. More like Southwest than Ryanair. You have to pay for bags, but they are generally fair and professional. Newer planes. You can pre-reserve seats with Norwegian, but it costs extra. Seating is not quite as tight as some others. You do have to pay for drinks, though, so bring those on-board with you.

Vueling is new to CPH, so don't know too much about them, but they seem to have a decent reputation. Also a LCC, so expect to pay for baggage, drinks, food, and assigned seating (if offered).

Honestly, I'd take whichever of Norwegian or Vueling is more convenient, as I don't think either operates every day.

WorldGallery Jan 29th, 2012 09:41 AM

Thanks for this info! Actually, they both operate on June 15th and are only a few dollars difference in price (with bag fees factored in). Actually, their bag fees and what you can have is the same. Do you know if the bag size (dimension) is the same as a US airline, like Delta?