Children's seats discounted?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can I find out which airlines sell children's seats at a discount? We are considering buying our 1.5 year old her own seat (although we are on a budget and I'm worried she won't want to sit in it...). I've checked a few websites (JetBlue in particular, maybe they don't give a discount?) and haven't seen any info on discounts for children. Do these discounts still exist? I just read an old thread that said most airlines sell them for half price.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I did manage to find the option at nwa.com. I finally realized that they must adjust the ticket price per person instead of offering one seat at a discount. The difference was only about $60 for a $300 ticket. I was hoping it would be closer to half price.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:12 AM

Most, if not all, airlines will charge either 10% of the full fare or nothing, depending on whether you put the infant in a seat or carry it on your lap. And that depends on you and the length of the flight. Infant = under 2 years old.

Don't try to book it online. CALL the airline.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Searching on a different date, the fare is significantly cheaper if we buy only two adult seats. I can't seem to win here!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

NoFly -- Thanks, I will definitely make this reservation through the airline and on the phone. I noticed that NWA now sells exit seats for $15. Two seats there may be the best thing for us; the space may be more valuable than a seat. And maybe a connection would actually be a good thing (we were hoping to go direct, east coast to west coast) so she can run around and have a change of scenery for a bit.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:43 AM

You can't seat a 1.5 year old in an exit row. It's against regulations, and you'll be asked about that when trying to get those seats.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:56 AM

And if you are not asked, they will move you once you are one the plane (or a check-in).
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up!!!

What do you think this type of seat (below) is? It's different from the exit row seat:

Available premium seat for purchase
(Available within 24 hours of depature for USD $15)
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Those premium seats are behind disability seats; do they have more legroom?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:18 AM

monique - Check out seatguru.com to find the seat configurations and comments.

In general, kids can sit in the "bulkheads" - that's usually the first row, right behind the compartment between First and Coach. But again, not in exit rows. And on most planes, you don't get extra legroom except for the exit rows.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:59 AM

That $15 is in addition to the regular fare!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

NoFly -- Yes, I knew that was in addition.

I guess I'll have to call the airlines directly to find out what the discounts are.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Hi Monique

Just as a quick aside to your discussion. Check with the airline you book with whether you can take a child's carseat on the flight. If you can (it has to be an approved sort) then it will make your journey all the better. Your daughter will be used to the seat, more likely to sleep, and one heck of a lot safer than sitting on a lap.

Just did two flights on the weekend with my two kids. Domestic 1.5 hour flights here in New Zealand and once again the carseat proved to be a bonus with our youngest son. He sits calmly and falls asleep as if he is in the car.

As far as discounted seats are concerned, they are becoming as rare as hens teeth on discounted airlines. Still to be found on legacys though.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Kiwi -- Thanks for your comments. Yes, our carseat is approved for flights (Britax). Renting a carseat for the rental car will cost $45, so counting that savings toward the cost of the ticket helps, too.

So I've found a great fare on Delta and called them about a discount. They can give us a seat for her at 50%, yippee!! At that price (less that $150), plus not having to rent a carseat, it's a no-brainer.