Notices

Checking baggage early/Hawaii

Aug 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Checking baggage early/Hawaii

I fly into Lihue on AA. 6 days later I flight out on AA at 6:00PM from HNL on a Monday evening

I want to spend a full day at Pearl Harbor. I can catch an interisland flight for $69. So, I am wanting to fly from LIH to HNL @ 6:30 in the morning. This will put me at HNL at 7:00ish. Then, I guess catching a taxi would be a better option than renting a car. I also suppose there might be some for of public transportation(haven't looked at that yet).

So, can I go ahead and check my bags and check in at that time with AA? If I need to store my carry on's or even my checked bags, are locker rentals available? Thanks.
Aug 22nd, 2012, 12:57 PM

No lockers at HNL. Renting a car may be your only option if AA won't accept luggage that early. You can leave them at my office, if you want, but I'm near Ala Moana Center.

There is a city bus ("DaBus") that runs from the airport to PH. I think the fare is $2.25. You can only bring on bags that will fit on your lap

You can book your boat tix online now. I'd recommend it, even though you have plenty of time to see the museum, the memorial, the Midway and the submarine, I can't imagine this will take all day, so a cheap car may be worth the price as you'll be more flexible, AND have a place to store your bags.
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:22 AM

Nope you can't check your bags with the airlines that far in advance of a flight, and there are no lockers at the Honolulu airport. But there is an off-site storage service I've often seen mentioned on the Trip Advisor forums (sorry don't know the name, but you'll be able to find it).
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM

Is there any chance that your inter-island airline will simply check your luggage through to your final destination? Back in the old days, the inter-island airlines were full-service and would check your bags through. If it's a budget airline, there's no chance, unfortunately.

Search this Thread