Checked vs carryon for cords, chargers, etc.

Nov 3rd, 2019, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Checked vs carryon for cords, chargers, etc.

TIA air travel forum friends i usually don't have electronics with me so am not savvy about this...

Should I put the zippered case with various cords and chargers for a laptop, digital camera, flip phone into checked luggage or keep it with me in my carry-on? Does TSA care about a tangle of cords going thru xray? Any reason not to put it in checked luggage? thanks, suze

Nov 3rd, 2019, 08:52 AM

I keep all in my carry on except camera charger and that's only because I have so many charged batteries in my camera case that I could probably go several weeks without actually needing to charge one.

Never had an issue with TSA and chargers.

If your luggage was misplaced, you might miss having those chargers on your person.
Nov 3rd, 2019, 08:54 AM

When I had my travel clock, charger and wires in my carryon, it was completely searched. "It could have been a bomb" said the searcher. I assume the same thing could happen with a checked bag. Since then I have had all these x-ray suspicious items in my computer bag personal item, which is always searched anyway due to the computer.
Nov 3rd, 2019, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like I should keep them with me and assume a search. That's OK I often get pulled aside with 'suspicious' items. Once was a dozen chocolate bars coming back from Mexico (big solid square in the middle of my bag they didn't care for at all!). Recently a sleeve of shortbread cookies just going from Seattle to Eugene OR (again wrong cylindrical shape in the middle of my bag). Both times they were very nice about it.

It's a cosmetic bag with a half dozen items, I'll just put it in my carry-on and pull out when I do the laptop. thanks for helping me think it thru!
Nov 3rd, 2019, 09:11 AM

I only travel carry on so always have everything in the one bag. The only chargers/cords I usually take are the one for my iPad/iPhone and my camera charger (don't always take a camera). I also usually take a small white noise machine (battery operated), a travel alarm, a small travel flat iron w/ cord), and various plug adaptors if traveling overseas. I have never once had it opened/extra screened. I also take Bose noise cancelling ear buds with charginng cord in a small case in my handbag.

Even if I did check luggage I would want to have the chargers with me in handbag or personal item.

ps: I do corral the cords/adaptors in a baggie but don't remove it from my rollaboard during screening.
Nov 3rd, 2019, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

thanks janisj. yes these are very neatly packaged and all together in a small zippered fabric bag.
Nov 3rd, 2019, 10:07 AM

I recently completed two trips with a neat tangle of cords, chargers, and batteries in a zippered bag just as you describe. No issues at all.

Mine also included a small Anker Powercore unit. These must be in carry on, if checked then they are subject to search. Ditto with lithium batteries, they must be in carry on.
https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7

Have a good trip.
Nov 3rd, 2019, 12:02 PM

I always put my charger cords, power strips and other peripherals in my carry-on and have never had an issue with TSA in the US and similar security checkpoints in Countries all over the world.
Nov 3rd, 2019, 04:16 PM

I like to be able to charge my phone , if need be, while waiting in the boarding area so I keep the phone charger handy with me.
Nov 3rd, 2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by SeaF View Post
I like to be able to charge my phone , if need be, while waiting in the boarding area so I keep the phone charger handy with me.

Or -- on the plane. On long flights overnight to Europe or Asia one or another item is often plugged in. The Bose will keep a charge for an entire 11 hour flight (unless I forgot to charge it ) but my poor old iPad needs charging after maybe 5 or 6 hours.
Nov 3rd, 2019, 05:39 PM

Take them with you.
Some years ago we flew Chicago to Papeete. Upon arrival there one of our bags was missing my TSA lock. When I had a chance to examine the bag I found the TSA lock inside mangled out of shape but there was nothing missing. However my bag had chargers for Nokia, Minolta and Sony products none of which were mine. I can only conclude more that one bag was opened for inspection and the TSA agents mixed things up. As the TSA should have keys for TSA bag locks I have no idea why mine was so mangled, like someone took a wrench to it. In any case just imagine how the person felt who lost those chargers.
Nov 4th, 2019, 06:18 AM

I've been carry-on only for several years now and never once has my bundle of cords (usually 4-5) raised an eyebrow, here, Europe, Africa, Canada or Peru.
Nov 4th, 2019, 07:24 PM

I actually have a smaller charger and plug adapter that goes into one of the carry on side pockets just for airport charging.

Usually I'm carry on only but even if not all my chargers and most of my cables go carry on . It would just be too much of a hassle to try and replace with a lost or delayed case. I've moved to mostly USB charging but still I wouldn't want to be shopping for cables on a trip.

Everything goes into a small cable bag that I take out before security. Some airports don't care but some really DO care. Especially it seems the Spanish ones.
Nov 5th, 2019, 10:23 AM

Always in carry on!
Nov 6th, 2019, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Took them in carry-on. Left them in my bag. No one blinked an eye at TSA. I don't have a need to use any of these in route, in airports or on the flights, so did not need them with me for that reason (hence my question). Again, thanks.