Alaska Airlines - need review of services

Old Jul 26th, 2018, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska Airlines - need review of services

Deciding between Alaska and Jet Blue for West Coast to JfK flight plans - familiar with Jet Blue experience but not with Alaska - need comparison review
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 06:09 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
"West coast" to JFK isn't specific enough, unfortunately. The reason is that Alaska recently acquired Virgin America, and is only partway through the process of integrating their fleet. From California, you're likely to be in former Virgin America Airbus planes, with a different seat layout and in-flight amenities than you'll get on Alaska 737s.

Alaska's service overall is regarded fairly highly, as is jetBlue's. Personally I'd go on price and schedule convenience, especially if you're flying in coach. If you're flying up front, then the equipment difference can make quite a difference.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 06:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you talking about JetBlue's MINT services? if you are that is one thing, otherwise you are talking about an Economy seating ONLY situation.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 07:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Both airlines are very good -- but as the others say, you don't provide enough info to give you real advice/comparisons.

Without that -- yes - just go with the one that has the best fare and/or schedule.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo, that's what I needed to know
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 09:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I use Alaska Air twice a year between Seattle and Puerto Vallarta Mexico. I like them just fine. Never flown across country with them or on Jet Blue to compare.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 10:49 AM

We use Alaska extensively as they have many West Coast flights. We really like them, and their service tends to be friendlier than most other carriers we've ever flown. We have flown with them to Chicago but not to the East Coast. Generally their prices on those flights (pre-merger) were just not as competitive as United, Delta or Southwest.

With Jet Blue, I do think you need took at your specific West Coast destination and see how many flights they have. We did use Jet Blue once about 5-6 years ago without incident. They were fine.

This spring, we signed up my son and my husband for a Jet Blue flight to the East Coast to look at colleges. The flight got cancelled due to weather, which happens. But the problem was that Jet Blue could not get us there until 4 days after our initial outbound flight. And then they wanted us to turn around and come home the following day on our original return. We would miss all the tours we'd signed up for and at least one hotel was too late to cancel. (This was the night of the outbound flight.) When my husband said that wouldn't work for our plans, they gave us a full refund. We were able to get a last minute flight on United.

So we're a little wary about using Jet Blue from Portland, but they might have more flights to SeaTac, San Francisco, etc.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 02:24 PM

JetBlue wins with the Terra Blue Potato chips.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 05:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been impressed with Alaska but they don’t fly on my usual routes so fly them infrequently. if I fly to Seattle, I a.ways choose Alaska. They are very customer friendly.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all respondents, I appreciate the input - if I still have the attention of a few fodorites I will be more specific with my inquiry: I am flying SFO or SJC to JFK (specific with destination) and my main concern is with amenities, specifically whether Alaska has back-of-seat TV/movie service - I assume both airlines have
similar leg room and flight delays/changes are hit and miss with all air carriers - I admit the Blue chips are a featured benefit of JB....again, thanks to all Fodor responders
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 08:22 AM

From what I remember on a flight to Alaska they don't have built in screens, although Virgin did, I believe Alaska is intending to remove them. They want you to use your own device and their ap. If they are using old Virgin America planes, those might still have the seatback screens.

To be safe, I'd chose JetBlue if it isn't much more expensive.

PS if the nonstop Delta Flight isn't too early, they also have decent snacks and seatback screens. I had been avoiding them for years because of Atlanta connections, but did a west coast flight recently and they were decent. However a 6am flight out of SFO in summer is always risky because of fog potential.

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 27th, 2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 09:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Again no idea if cross-country is the same. But the Alaska Air planes I am on (up and down the west coast) do not have seat-back screens (Airbus A320 or Boeing 737-800 or 900).
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 10:08 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mlgb
From what I remember on a flight to Alaska they don't have built in screens, although Virgin did, I believe Alaska is intending to remove them. They want you to use your own device and their ap. If they are using old Virgin America planes, those might still have the seatback screens.
Correct. See https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...-entertainment