Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Check or Carry for Delta FLT - ATL to Montego Bay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/check-or-carry-for-delta-flt-atl-to-montego-bay-925461/)

gracie Feb 26th, 2012 12:22 PM

Check or Carry for Delta FLT - ATL to Montego Bay?

I'm taking my stepdaughter and step daughter-in-law (both in their 20's) to Montego Bay this weekend. We only have three days in Jamaica, so we want to make the most of every minute. My question is whether we should check our luggage or carry on? I never check luggage anymore because I am a light packer and have suffered through delayed, lost and stolen luggage in my 50+ years of flying..
We fly out of ATL on Delta on a non-stop flight, arriving in Montego Bay around 2:00 pm. It is an hour ride to our hotel. (DH and I flew to Montego Bay two years ago and stayed at the same hotel, so we know the real length of time to the resort.) Does anyone know the average wait time to retrieve checked bagged on a Friday afternoon at the Montego Bay airport? I think the girls would like to check their luggage, but they won't if it will significantly delay our getting to the hotel.
Thank you for your advice.

CarolA Feb 26th, 2012 04:54 PM

One thing to consider. Sunblock. It is hard to do that as carryon and when I was in Jamaica it was very costly!!!

gracie Feb 26th, 2012 06:17 PM

CarolA -- I use Walgreens' brand. Comes in 3 ounce tubes. I did see that sunscreen was very expensive on our previous trip.

doug_stallings Feb 27th, 2012 05:32 AM

You might wait 10 to 30 minutes for luggage, or not. I've been through the airport several times. Sometimes my luggage is ready by the time I get through immigration, and sometimes I have to wait. But for 3 days, it's not worth checking luggage, in my opinion. I'd tell the girls to pack light.

Jamaica really has their act together on most days in the immigration lines, and they process you pretty quickly. I'd certainly prefer to head straight to the van.

suze Mar 1st, 2012 09:07 AM

I flew that route not too long ago (Atlant to MoBay on Delta). It was fine. I have checked luggage and it just took a usualy amount of time to claim. But the immigrations desks can be backed up significantly (like a 1 hour wait). So if you "waste" time at the airport, it's going to be because of that (which can't be avoided) not about claiming luggage.

gracie Mar 1st, 2012 11:20 AM

Thanks for your replies. I think I have talked the ladies into packing lightly and not checking.

suze Mar 1st, 2012 11:25 AM

Remember to let them know about the gels/liquids limits for size and amount in your carry-on. So they don't get their lotions & potions taken away by TSA.

gracie Mar 7th, 2012 09:37 AM

Update. We all did carry on. I am especially glad I did because my flight from my hometown was delayed due to weather. This caused me to miss my nonstop flight from ATL to MoBay. I had to fly from my hometown to ATL, then Miami, then MoBay. I was supposed to arrive at 2:10 pm, instead arrived around 11:00 pm. Not sure checked baggage would have made it.