Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

12/19 bad weather in northeast - do you think they will refund a one-way ticket if flight is seriously delayed?

Search

12/19 bad weather in northeast - do you think they will refund a one-way ticket if flight is seriously delayed?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH has one-way ticket 12/19 on USAir Boston-Savannah. Was going to drive north with son. Horrible weather is predicted for tomorrow and I would guess there is a reasonable chance flight will be delayed or cancelled. If it is seriously delayed, it makes no sense for him to make trip.

If this happens, anyone know if USAir might give him at least a partial refund or waive change fee (would use ticket in 6 months then). Ticket cost $148 so paying a $150 change fee would be silly.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM

This one it totally up to USAir, so you will need to telephone them.

Because DL is our usual carrier, I am used to seeing their "weather advisory" warning on their homepage when these sorts of thing happens. Right now DL says:

Rescheduling Flights
If your flight is canceled or significantly delayed, you are entitled to a refund. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to or from the following destinations on Delta, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.
For the 19th they list:

Northeast Winter Storm
* Newark, NJ
* New York, NY
* Philadelphia, PA
* White Plains, NY

Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.

S0--right now DL is accommodating the NYC and Philly area, but not Boston. Doesn't mean USAir is doing same or same airports. Check directly.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 09:59 AM
J62

AA has a similar policy - they don't have any 12/19 alerts posted yet, but here's their general bad weather (hurricane) policy. Rules may or may not be the same for snow affected areas.

http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...Protection.jsp
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 03:08 PM

I'd call US Airways, if you haven't already. I noticed that United now has a weather waiver for the Northeast through the 22nd that includes Massachusetts. Don't know how US Airways handles these and can't readily find it on the website.

I'm holding my breath for a flight from O'Hare on Sunday--we're supposed to get it tonight/tomorrow and then again late in the weekend. We're flying to Las Vegas where it has been...snowing!
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
J62

USAIr has now posted a weather advisory.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/TravelA...sories.aspx#48

Due to bad weather, flights may be cancelled or delayed. Check your flight status to find out if your flight has been affected. For more information, call 800-428-4322.

Cities Affected:
Toronto, Canada (YYZ); Montreal, Canada (YUL); Hartford/Springfield, CT (BDL); Chicago, IL (ORD); Indianapolis, IN (IND); Boston, MA (BOS); Detroit, MI (DTW); Kansas City, MO (MCI); St. Louis, MO (STL); Newark, NJ (EWR); Albany, NY (ALB); New York, NY (LGA); New York, NY (JFK); Newburgh, NY (SWF); Syracuse, NY (SYR); White Plains, NY (HPN); Philadelphia, PA (PHL); Providence, RI (PVD); Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
Date Range:
12/18/2008 6:30 PM ET through 12/20/2008 11:30 PM ET

Revised Ticket Policy:
US Airways has relaxed ticketing policies for these markets, which are affected by bad weather. US Airways will waive the standard change fee, advance reservation and ticketing requirements for customers with travel to these markets on the dates above. See our revised ticketing policy below for rules and restrictions. Call 800-428-4322 for more information.

If US Airways service continues to operate to the affected destinations, you can make certain changes without incurring the standard change fee, advance reservation or ticketing requirements:

* You can move your entire itinerary up to seven days before or after the scheduled origination date, although you cannot alter the length of your trip.

* You can apply the full value of your wholly unused tickets toward the purchase of a ticket to an alternate destination, although travel must originate within seven days of the scheduled origination date.

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM

In November, we were flying from Phl - Ord for a long weekend. Our original flight was 5:30 (or close) and we were delayed -- by this time it was approaching 8:30. We were traveling with kids and were concerned about how late it would be. We approached the gate agent and asked him about canceling and getting a credit for flights... with no $150 change penalty. Since my dh is some type of elite, he called their hotline and they were willing to fully refund our money for the weekend had we decided not to wait. As it turned out, the flight took off 5 minutes later and went smoothly from there. This was a mechanical delay (we were watching them in the belly of the plane).

I was impressed that they were willing to offer a refund and that they understood our circumstances (flying late with kids, if flew out the next morning it would shorten our weekend, etc.).

I would call them and ask.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
J62

I hope USAir is helpful. I have a client who's plane was diverted this evening, forcing him to miss his connection. The earliest he could get into his destination is the heart of the NE snow storm, so why bother when nobody will be there. He's going to overnight at the connecting airport & return home in the am.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 04:39 AM

This links to the air traffic control. You can check on your airport status.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp