Cheap flights to Europe from Pittsburg

Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap flights to Europe from Pittsburg

WOW has finally announced that their flights to Iceland from Pittsburg will begin in June 2017. We had heard that it was coming, but no time had been announced.
Old Feb 24th, 2017, 09:27 AM

Which one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburg
Old Feb 24th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Very funny. Go to the WOW website if you're interested.
Old Feb 24th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

https://wowair.us/flights/our-destinations/pittsburgh/
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 06:06 AM

Cheap fares, yes, until you add on the extra charges. For instance, flying in the summer to Paris will cost a little over $140 for one checked bag round-trip. Carry-on? Not as high, but still extra. Want advance seat selection? That will cost you too. It's pretty easy to reach a price total that is less wow! and more ouch!
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Yes, that's nothing new - you build the fare from the bottom up, you pay for what you need.

If I can make do with a small baggie, I'm even further ahead than when I need a full-sized carry-on or a checked bag. Still cheap.

If you feel you need to know what seat you'll be sitting in, you pay for that.

If you want them to feed you, you pay them, if you bring your own sandwich, you pay wherever you buy that sandwich. What's the diff?

In total, you still come out ahead against most others, often by a mile.
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 06:01 AM

I am flying today on Icelandair to Reykjavik from Boston. We priced same route on WOW. My ticket is about $550 RT - it would have been $50 less on WOW after I added carry-on, 1 checked bag, and seat other than middle - no other add-ons. Not worth it to me to have a slightly more comfortable seat.

Shop around - sometimes greater savings by just altering your travel by a day or so if you can.
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

We knew that folks living in or near Boston are really lucky when it comes to cheap flight options, with WOW, Iceland Air, and Norwegian, so Pittsburgh is a nice addition for those who aren't so lucky to live in BOS but may get to Pittsburgh more easily than to BOS, or connect cheaply with Southwest or Allegiant or Frontier or Spirit for example.
The more the merrier.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 03:48 AM

There are a number of cheap flight sites around, which all seem pretty much the same. The other way to get to Europe cheaper from Pittsburg , or anywhere else for that matter, is to not buy the refundable ticket. Stick with me here...

I fly, a lot, and this little hack is the best trick i know for cheap flights.

It doesn't need to be expensive to buy flights any time of the year, it depends what type of flights you buy.

Whether you fly coach, business or first, the same rules apply. The airlines (all of them) make a gut load of cash out of refundable tickets.

I often fly first class or business for not much more than the person at the back of the jet sat on top of the toilets, in the middle of the middle row. (That used to be me!!)

Take a typical flight with British Airways, LAX - LHR return (11 hours each way)

(And please feel free to go check these prices)

Refundable Economy Seat was $4,200
Non-Refundable Business Seat (with Insurance) was $4,600
Non-Refundable First Seat (with Insurance) was $6,800
(For insurance prices i went to AardvarkCompare(dot)com as you can get a dozen or more prices, but also check out your local broker)

For those of you who would prefer to keep the airlines profitable, here is the price for that Refundable First Class Ticket.. $23,423.89

$23,400 for a First Class Refundable ticket, or $6,800 for a First Class Non-Refundable with Insurance

$6,800 for a $23,400 seat?!

British Airways wants $6,300 for the Non-Refundable First Class Seat.

I then add a $450 Cancel For Any Reason Travel Insurance Policy

So, for $6,800 I am paying $2,500 more than the guy with the Refundable Economy Flight. I am in First Class.

Why does this work?

Simple - Travel Insurance is based on risk, and the probability of claim.

Flight prices are based on pricing models that try to gouge as much money out of a passenger as is humanly possible.

That’s a $16,600 saving. Same flight. You’re welcome.

If anyone wants to check prices to Europe from Pittsburg and try this hack, i'd love to know how much you can save.

Good luck!
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

danielholden, I don't follow your math, but your examples are stratospheric anyway when compared to the topic of this thread.

Not fares in the thousands, not business or first class - rockbottom budget fares is what we're talking about - WOW beginning cheap flights from Pittsburgh coming this summer (June). A few hundred dollars per flight, a little more if you need bags and if seat reservations are important to you.