Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Changing from Delta to KLM/Air France -- AMEX points question!

Jun 19th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

I need your help. For over 25 years, we have been using American Express points to book vacation Business Class travel through Delta Airlines. We mostly travel from airports in Texas to Europe. Now that Delta has doubled or tripled the miles required to book business class seats, we are reviewing our other options. Seriously considering joining KLM/Air France Flying Blue frequent flyer programs. We have flown both airlines (love the ceramic houses through KLM) but always booked through Delta. Couple questions:

1. Is it possible to join now Air France Flying Blue now and transfer AMEX points directly -- on a 1:1 basis -- to AF/KLM and book a business class flight next year to Europe? Their point requirements seem much lower.
2. Do KLM and Air France - using miles in their Flying Blue program - allow you to use the miles interchangeably between the two carriers? Are they pulling from the same "checking account" so to speak?
3. Any problems that I should be aware of on either carrier's business class seats/service?

Thanks for your help.
Jul 8th, 2019, 08:35 PM

I love AF/KLM Flying Blue program--better availability for award tickets; I often fly over on AF and back on KLM (both have direct flights to/from SFO to CDG or AMS). Way more availability and better mileage deals than direct with the airlines IME. (I always book in business).

I have found it easier to sign in on AF as sometimes I have trouble with different computers, websites, etc. but that may just be my account--I think I accidentally signed up with Europe as my home territory and that may have done it.

Both airlines "draw" from flying blue account.

I have transferred directly from my AmEx account BUT it is not a Delta Am Ex -- not an airline card, in other words, so I do transfer AmEx points directly, as well as Capital One points (one of them just had a bonus for transferring miles, as a matter of fact).
Jul 8th, 2019, 08:36 PM

Also, best seats IME are the single row of seats on AF; my husband and I get those even though we are flying together.