Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Changing airlines n 1.5 h in CDG, is it possible? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/changing-airlines-n-1-5-h-in-cdg-is-it-possible-1130592/)

ALEALE Sep 15th, 2016 01:33 PM

Changing airlines n 1.5 h in CDG, is it possible?

Hello,

I am having a flight from CDG with AA. But I purchases with Lufthansa from Budapest to CDG. So would be arriving from Budapest wait for the luggage , then find AA and check in for a Flight to USA. All this in 1 h and half. Is it possible?

Thank you for your reply.

janisj Sep 15th, 2016 03:11 PM

A very bad idea. If your flight is delayed you are totally out of luck.

I would fly in to CDG the evening before your AA flight . . . UNLESS you can afford to lose what you paid for the transatlantic flight.

jacketwatch Sep 15th, 2016 03:38 PM

Very risky I think. Can you change it?

If your flight in to CDG arrives when traffic in the airport is minimal for example late at night/early morning like say 0200 but even then you need to be very lucky.

We always allow for a lot of time between flights to deal with potential delays. 1.5 hrs. I would not do even if the bags were in transit from the origination point.

I hope you can change your fl. to CDG. The day before is ideal if you can but give yourself at least 6 hrs. That would be my minimum comfort zone. Cant speak for others.

Good luck!

WoinParis Sep 16th, 2016 02:22 AM

You may catch it but the likeliness is that you will miss it.

Budapest to CDG means that you arrive in CDG, deplane, have no immigration process and go to fetch your luggage.

Then you exit and look for your next flight. You may have printed your ticket already.

AA is going to ask some questions at luggage drop-off. There might be a queue, but even if there is no queue, you then must go through immigration, security, then to your gate. Which closes about 45 min before departure ? (check on the airline).

For me : very unlikely.

For such trips what I do is fly the day before from Budapest, spend the remaining of the day in Paris and take my flight with no stress. Or I buy the full trip with one airline - then it is their problem, as I fly on one ticket.

I can still picture this family of 4 with children who had a flight from Leipzig to CDG then from CDG to ?
The flight from Leipzig was cancelled.
They could forget to catch their plane. Not a good way to start a holiday. Or end it.

J62 Sep 16th, 2016 02:41 AM

For flights to the US you are required to checkin with AA no less than 60min before departure, not 45min. That means checked-in. Not still walking to the line or waiting in line.

30min from arrival to checkin, including baggage claim is not possible.

BigRuss Sep 16th, 2016 07:43 AM

I have hit a sub-90 minute change at CDG but ONLY because it was on one ticket, same airline and because we transited from Paris to another destination within Europe.

Your proposal (I'm hoping it's a proposal because otherwise, it's a terrible plan) is on two airlines that are NOT part of the same multi-carrier alliance.

And you are trying to fly from Europe to the USA, which has far more security precautions than intra-Europe flights. Included among those precautions are bag-matching, which takes time for the airlines to complete.

Put simply: <b>your plan will not work</b>.

janisj Sep 16th, 2016 09:30 AM

The OP is a first timer -- sure hope s/he isn't waiting for a notification from Fodors that there is activity on the thread . . .