Reload this Page >

Thoughts on LGA, JFK, and EWR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:47 AM
J Correa

I am interested in hearing people's thoughts about La Guardia, JFK, and Newark airports.<BR><BR>We are considering flying from the west coast into one of these airports, renting a car, visiting family in northern NJ and eastern PA for a few days, returning the car to the same location, and taking the train either up to Boston or down to DC, then flying home from either of these cities. <BR><BR>Any thoughts on ground transportation at these airports - rental cars, ease of drivng in and out, shuttles to Amtrak stations, and so on?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Coal Miner

EWR, hands down. Given your itinerary it makes the most sense to land there, avoid having to deal with bridges and tunnels to get to northern NJ and Eastern PA. On return, drop off the rent car at EWR, hop on the new AirTrain that will take you to Penn Station where you can connect to Amtrak for either Boston or DC. AirTrain service is by both PATH and AmTrak; PATH is cheaper

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:26 AM
J Correa

Thanks Coal. <BR><BR>From the map, it looks like Newark would be the best bet as well - the AirTrain to Penn Station sounds very convinient. In checking for flights, it looks like there are more non-stop flights from the west coast into JFK than LGA or EWR, and that flights into JFK are slightly cheaper. But if flying into EWR is signigicanly more convenient than the other airports, then it would be worth it.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Jess

Avoid JFK like the plague. I refuse to fly from there on domestic flights. It is just the scuzziest airport imaginable. <BR><BR>Go with EWR. The flight will probably be the cheapest, and I would guess that you will find a much better deal on a rental car there. NYC rental prices are insane. <BR><BR>If you want to spend some time in NYC first, and then do your traveling, I would go with LGA. I will only fly from LGA to Spokane, WA unless the price difference is over $100. The ease of transportation and time saved is worth it to me.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:40 AM
gail

I hate JFK. It looks like it is in severe need of renovations, but they have been renovating it since it opened. My husband travels several days/week and it is also his least favorite airport. We found more English-speaking and helpful people in Cairo, Egypt than at JFK.<BR><BR>It is essential if you have an overseas connection, but other than that it serve no useful purpose.<BR><BR>You did not ask, but check the cost of one-way tickets since you propose flying into NY and out of Boston or Washington - might be a big price difference to fly one-way rather than RT from same city.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Sarah

EWR and LGA compared to JFK<BR><BR>Sort of like looking at SFO compared to LAX<BR><BR><BR>One is a zoo that if the price is right you hop on. The others ewr and lga are the better choices but not worth an extra stop over or increase in ticket price.<BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:53 PM
SID

AVOID LGA AT ALL COST, JFK is also not that great.<BR><BR>Definately go with EWR, the bext nyc airport. It's convenient, has superb rail links and you can easily hop on the NJ turnpike.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 01:29 PM
J Correa

Thanks for all the responses. <BR><BR>I checked ticket prices, and it looks like a difference of about $50 per ticket flying into EWR and out or BOS versus into and out of EWR. I think that if we were to travel back to New Jersey to fly home on a round trip ticket, we would eat up most, if not all of our savings in ground transportation costs. If I find an incredible round trip fare to EWR, it might be worth it though.