Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Traveling with two passports, with different names.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,
I really need your help!
I currently have two passports, one is a Syrian, and one is a Russian.
I currently live in Turkey and I am planning to go to Malaysia soon.
However, my name on the Syrian passport is "Deen Doughouz", but in the Russian is "Dein Molchanova" (My mom surname)
I'll go out from Turkey using the Syrian passport, but I would like to enter Malaysia using the Russian passport.
Now, should I buy the ticket using the Syrian passport or the Russian passport? Will I face any problems at the airport?
Note: I entered Turkey using my Syrian passport.
Also, will I have any problems showing my Russian passport in the Malaysian immigration center if I exit Turkey with the Syrian passport?
Also, can I exit Turkey with my second passport (no entry stamps)
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 10:31 AM

My name is Bond. James Bond. I also have several passports.
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 11:21 AM
J62

I can't give you a case specific, knowledgeable answer, but here are my thoughts.

Upon leaving the a country you may have to show your passport several times.

1. to the airline, and your passport needs to match your ticket. The airline will also want to verify that your passport is ok for entry to your destination - this is where it may get tricky for you.

2. to exit passport control (government). I do not know if they will care if your passport matches your ticket.

And upon entering a country, to the incoming immigration officials. Here again, I don't think they care what your ticket said - they should only care if they want to grant you access.

I think you need some more informed advice than I can give you. Good luck with your travels.
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 03:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Just curious...

<<<I'll go out from Turkey using the Syrian passport, but I would like to enter Malaysia using the Russian passport.>>>

Why not use the same passport???
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are sometimes good reasons for using a different passport. For instance, I saved several hundred USD using my UK passport in South America because I did not need visas.

In general, if you are leaving country A, you do it on passport A, just as when you return you use passport A. You can then use passport B for countries B through Z. In that situation I show both passports to the airline person checking me in, although passport B is the one they really need to see.

HOWEVER - I seem to remember that it is illegal to have two passports in Malaysia.
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 07:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You are talking about 3 countries (Turkey/Russia/Syria) which often already trigger heightened security checks and you have two passports. That could be a HUGE red flag.

This entry from the UK Foreign Office is one explanation (I know you are not from the UK but the info still applies)

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

>><blue>Dual nationals
Malaysia doesn’t recognise dual nationality. Technically you can be refused entry if you are found to be holding two passports of different nationality.</blue><<
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 01:06 PM

Have it worked so far? I have the smiliar problem. Would like to know what have arrived
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 01:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
amedien: It may be that deendoughouz's question was not serious -- since s/he posted and never came back to the forums.

But the answers above could apply to you as well, but you don't say which countries you are visiting and which passports you hold.