Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Carry on Luggage (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/carry-on-luggage-901273/)

Kuching Aug 2nd, 2011 07:07 PM

Carry on Luggage

Hi! I am new to this Forum and I hope I can get some advice from experienced travelers.

My questions: Do you always get a tag for that piece of carry-on bag (cabin-size) that has to be checked in at the gate because you are flying short distance on a small plane? Have you sometimes been told by the crew that tags are not necessary because you will get your bag where you left it immediately on arrival? What should you do if that bag does not appear at the end of the journey and you don't have a tag and you are told 'no tag no bag'? Has anyone ever had that bad experience?

Airlines have a long list of exclusions for valuables in checked-in luggage and so prudent passengers put their valuables in their carry-on bags. What happens if valuables are pilfered from this bag that you are 'forced' to check in at the gate? What are our rights as passengers?

Thank you.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Aug 2nd, 2011 09:43 PM

I hope you'd also have a smaller bag of some sort (purse, briefcase, small backpack, computer bag), small enough that there will be no question that you can take it on board the plane. There's where anything valuable or irreplaceable should go. Make sure those valuables are already in the small bag so that if you have to gate check your larger bag, it's ready to hand over without you having to shuffle things around.

I hope you'd also have a smaller bag of some sort (purse, briefcase, small backpack, computer bag), small enough that there will be no question that you can take it on board the plane. There's where anything valuable or irreplaceable should go. Make sure those valuables are already in the small bag so that if you have to gate check your larger bag, it's ready to hand over without you having to shuffle things around.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Aug 2nd, 2011 09:44 PM

I only replied once. Honest. :)

rkkwan Aug 2nd, 2011 10:15 PM

I may have seen the "no tag" operation once or twice, but only on really small planes like B1900 with 19 seat where one get on AND off via stairs. You get off the plane and just wait right at the stairs until they bring the bags over.

If it's a regional jet using bridges, definitely need a tag.

Melnq8 Aug 2nd, 2011 11:53 PM

I always get a tag...I just pick one up at the desk at the gate, I don't even wait for them to tell me I need one. No tag, no bag, sorry. A few months back I screwed myself by tossing my tag before looking at my gate checked bag...they'd ripped off the zipper, careless %^$#@!&^.

I remove anything of value before handing over the carry on. I keep a folded plastic bag in my carry on, specifically for that purpose.

Kuching Aug 3rd, 2011 04:56 AM

Thank you Jeff, rkkan and Melnq8 for your sharing and advice.