Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Carry on liquids purchased at the airport - not always permitted

Jul 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

As for the liquid restriction mentioned in the movies thread. I have seen this first hand in Chile boarding for international flights to the US and there is a lot of discussion on other boards discussing that it happens in BA and Lima as well. I think it is based the lack of liquid checks at the primary security checkpoint. For intra-Chile flights we did not have the same security checks and could take anything we purchased on the flights. This is different than we have seen elsewhere in the world. From now on I'm asking before I buy to carry on when I'm out of the US.
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:07 AM

There was a long discussion about this on the Latin America board here. At most airports in Latin America, there seems to be one final search of carry-ons at the gate or on the jetway and they confiscate liquids, even a bottle of water, if it's a flight to the United States. You can, however, buy wine or liquor at the shops in the secure area and they will be delivered to you at the jetway. That's what I've seen in many countries down here and that seemed to be the experience of most everyone who posted in that thread.
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:14 AM

In EU countries you will pass through security whenever you change planes so any liquids / gels / etc over 100ml will be confiscated

UNLESS

you bought them airside at another EU airport that day, have it sealed in a bag and have the receipt.

If it is bought outside the EU then IT WILL BE CONFISCATED unless you go landside and check it
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM

In EU countries you will pass through security whenever you change planes

That's too broad of a statement. It depends on the airport and destination. For example, there are no security checks at AMS for intra-Schengen connections.
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:46 AM

We had a similar experience in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Bali - security check points at the gate, no liquids allowed beyond the 3-1-1 rule, so no way to take on a bottle of water for the flight.

We had to laugh at the video on Singapore airlines talking about how to stay comfortable on the flight - one piece of advice was to bring bottled water on the flight to stay hydrated. Oooops - time to update the video.
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:37 PM

My experience is the past few years coming home from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. You can not bring beverages thru security, same as anywhere. But you also can't bring beverages on the plane with you, even those bought after security check point at the airport shops in the gate areas.

Also be warned about duty-free purchases of liquor... Yes they will bring them on the plane for you BUT if you have a transfer in the U.S. before your final destination in the U.S. at that point the no-carryon-liquids rules again applies so you have to take the duty free booze that was with on onboard the first leg, and put it INTO your checked luggage to be able to continue with it. It cannot come back onto the plane with you for the connecting flight.

Jul 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM

Well, while I generally try not to fit the "Smuggler" mode...

On my flight home from Costa Rica I put my water bottle in my jacket pocket. They "searched" my carryon and my water and I got on the plane.

Now a couple of things to ask. If you buy booze etc see if they deliver it directly to you on the jetway. Then it won't matter.

Also, remember that you may have issues when you land.

For example if you fly into Atlanta, you must claim your luggage, clear customs and then get rescreened to go back into the airport even IF Atlanta is your final destination. In that case any liquids bought at your departure airport must be put in your checked luggage or they aren't going to make it! The airlines try to remind you of this. The TSA does nothing (except I guess party with the booze they take!)
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM

<<< That's too broad of a statement. It depends on the airport and destination. For example, there are no security checks at AMS for intra-Schengen connections. >>>

But in any case the only liquids you will have will have been bought airside at another Schengen airport
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM

perhaps the gate agents just wanted some premium Starbucks.
Jul 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM

I was joking that's how they were maying for the new terminal and remodel at PVR.
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM

November Moon - in Singapore there is a 7-11 inside the terminal which will sell you a bottle of water in a sealed bag and you can bring it in board. I always buy a bottle there and all the other passengers ask why I could get it on Board. Last year, my Qantas flight was delayed for 5 hours after we boarded. I had the flu and my water was a godsend. There wasn't any cooling and the plane water was tepid.
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Sarvo - thanks for the tip. I will remember that next time I fly out of Singapore.