Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   can you suggest items for "care kit" for first time flyer? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/can-you-suggest-items-for-care-kit-for-first-time-flyer-1034589/)

scotlib Jan 16th, 2015 03:55 AM

can you suggest items for "care kit" for first time flyer?

A group of co-workers are headed to Scotland with an Iceland stop over on the way back this summer. They are all 50-60s. I've learned that for one it will be her <b>first trip</b> on an airplane, never mind also first time going to Europe.

I'd like to put together a little airplane "care kit." I have some first thoughts, but what would you suggest to add for items?

gum
earplanes for air pressure
normal ear plugs for sound
MadLibs w/ pen .. for distraction :-)
face mask (I presume Icelandair, not sure if any goodie bag for their flights)
chamomile tea packet
chap stick .. dry air on the plane

more ideas?

I'll have to confirm, but if they are taking Icelandair out of BOS, anyone have tips for the experience?

Many thanks.

J62 Jan 16th, 2015 04:45 AM

earplanes - no. They are for those 1 or 2 moments during a flight when the pressure changes, and you don't want her to have to worry about digging them out when they might be useful.

Ear plugs - maybe, just in case the noise bothers her

face mask - only if she is sick. Masks are used to prevent the spread of your germs to others, not the other way around.

chamomile tea. does she like that? having to dig out the tea at beverage service would be a pain to me. keep it simple

how about eye mask?

or other items she may want or need on the ground in Scotland. plug converter, or a few pounds sterling to have on her when she lands, or maybe even some euros for use in Iceland.

jacketwatch Jan 16th, 2015 04:50 AM

Is she nervous about flying? Some Xanax maybe?

If they are flying coach I don't think they will get a goodie bag.

If she has never flown before and if she takes any meds be sure takes them with her carry on as well as her money, I'd's etc.

Luv2travel15 Jan 16th, 2015 04:56 AM

I say to put in a package of "ear planes" as she hasn't flown before and u don't know whether her ears will be bothered by the pressure and altitude. You can buy them at Wal Mart where they sell the ear products and they are fairly inexpensive. My husband has terrible problems when we fly and also uses the ear planes to depressurize his ears. They are wonderful. The problem is you have to put them in before the flight starts so they will work. You can take them out once in the air. She may not use them on 1st flight out because she won't know if her ears will bother her but if she has them she'll use them on the return flight home. They can be used twice so good for both flights. Better safe than sorry. If she doesn't use them someone else may need them.

We flew Iceland Air Boston to Reykavik a few years ago and I will tell you that they are a no frills airline, you get nothing except a bottle of water. LOL Plane was old but flights were ok. You can purchase food but have use a credit card cause they charge you in Icelandic money. We didn't find the flight attendants friendly but we don't care about that stuff.

Loved Reykavik if they are stopping over and have time to explore. Scotland is wonderful as well, beautiful country.

Good luck. A nice thing to do for your coworker!

janisj Jan 16th, 2015 07:46 AM

>>face mask - only if she is sick. Masks are used to prevent the spread of your germs to others, not the other way around.<<

I <i>think</i> scotlib meant an <u>eye</u>mask, not a face mask. At least I hope so.

In her liquid baggie: a nasal moisturizer gel (really helps w/ the dry air), a small hand cream (an eos or similar 'pod' is good ) http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...la&kpid=345510

suze Jan 16th, 2015 07:46 AM

I'd just give one kind of ear plugs, the soft foam kind.
Add a couple magazines or a paperback book.
under 3 oz. bottle of body lotion or moisturizer.

DebitNM Jan 16th, 2015 08:00 AM

mini tooth brush; I love these:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/col...294246-product

Target, WalMart also have them

DebitNM Jan 16th, 2015 08:01 AM

some kind of eye drops. My eyes get really dry.Either plain saline or mild Visine drops.

DebitNM Jan 16th, 2015 08:04 AM

travel pillow. I absolutely have to have one or I get the worst pains in my neck. I use the one they give you [IF they give you one, most planes do, not sure about Icelandic] for my lower back, which also bothers me. I like memory foam with a snap so it doesn't slip off.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Pillow-...1427798&sr=1-6

Lastly, a pashmina type shawl if they don't give a blanket. Lightweight and multi-use.

janisj Jan 16th, 2015 08:09 AM

Oh -- Wisp's are great. I forgot about them.

I can get them even in my local grocery store.

Pashmina? Now maybe my idea about a small 'care kit' is different, but pashminas and neck pillows would be outside my pay grade for a care kit :)

Maybe just suggest that she might want a pashmina/shawl/cardigan and a neck pillow . . .

suze Jan 16th, 2015 08:24 AM

oooh... and just a couple of those Wet-Nap type wipes to clean off the tray table and your hands before eating.

I never use a travel pillow or take a blanket or pashmina with me. Too much stuff to haul around. Personally I"d stick with little/small item stuff for this gift.

scotlib Jan 16th, 2015 08:24 AM

many thanks for the ideas!

yes, oops, I meant eye mask

I think she has her own pashmina, but I'll pass on any suggestion above what I can spend for the care kit, so ideas for a first timer no matter the cost are wonderful

the chamomile tea packet was an idea with assumption that it'd be easy to get hot water, but if that shouldn't be the case .. maybe something with lavender scent .. any other calming scents?

Luv2travel15 Jan 16th, 2015 08:28 AM

I have seen "pashmina" look alikes at Five Below Stores for $5. Neck pillows are cheap too if you have an discount stores nearby (Ocean State Job Lots, Big Lots, etc.) Great idea for using as a blanket too!

I think a travel size blanket that fits into it's own case would be a really good gift. The airlines are getting very stingy about providing blankets on some flights. One flight we were on we were sitting by a very drafty window seat and there was an awful breeze coming in. I asked for a blanket and the flight attendant said that they didn't give them out anymore to coach seats! Couldn't believe it as I was freezing. She did come back later w/ a blanket. Gotta love it! So I am going to plan to take a travel blanket w/ me next time we fly as I am always cold on flights.

I luv doing word searches so a word search book!

Of course, always bring handi wipes or sanitizer. Yuck to those germs.

suze Jan 16th, 2015 09:44 AM

Nooooo... scents for on the plane. Please, I'm begging you! What may be "calming" for some is very irritating to others.
:-)

J62 Jan 16th, 2015 09:52 AM

what's wrong with scents on the plane?

http://www.fodors.com/community/air-...on-a-plane.cfm

karajean90 Jan 16th, 2015 11:49 AM

I would say to either remind them to bring headphones or to buy some for her. I would also suggest researching some snacks that are allowed to be taken on the plane such as granola bars or something along those lines. The airplane food might not completely satisfy her.

scotlib Jan 16th, 2015 12:25 PM

Thank you, suze. That's a good reminder that scents can be an issue. Chocolate should be a better alternative :-) ?

suze Jan 16th, 2015 12:31 PM

Chocolate, granola bars, KIND bars, etc. are all fabulous!! I always buy a magazine and a bag of cashews at the airport pre-flight.

Gardyloo Jan 16th, 2015 12:55 PM

Boston to Iceland is barely five hours, and often even less due to tailwinds. By the time you've had the safety spiel, taken off, had a drinks service, offered food for purchase (assuming she's in coach), watched a couple of TV shows on the in-seat screen, had duty-free cr@p pitched to you, badda bing, the lights are back on and it's time to land. Seriously, I wouldn't overdo it.

scotlib Jan 16th, 2015 01:16 PM

Thanks for the info, Gardyloo. I'll pass it along.