Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Can you help find a cheap one way flight from London to New York?

Jul 24th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

DD just texted from cruise ship where her and her DH are doing a 5 month music gig. They want to end their contract and need to find a cheap flight from London to New York one way for 2 people, around August 1st/2nd. Is there a good web-site I can use?

Thanks I am suppose to text her back in 30 minutes, hmm maybe not.
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Cheapest I could find was about $900. I tried RT, one way, assorted US airports, even tried mid-week since I thought weekend might be a bit higher. Still around $900.
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Ditto. Only thing I could find less than $900 was $877 through BOS and not sure the hassle is worth it (and that was on Mon, the 3rd). Used kayak.com and I find they're usually good.
Jul 24th, 2009, 07:07 AM

try itasoftware.com

you can also use the month-long view if that helps

or try sidestep.com

these two sites are aggregators and are pretty inclusive
Jul 24th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Two suggestions -

1. Look at one-way flights originating in Dublin; they're often $200-$300+ cheaper than originating in London, and there are numerous cheap flights between London and DUB.

2. Look at mid-week departures instead of weekends.

For example, I can see one way on US Air from Dublin to La Guardia (via Philadelphia) on Tuesday the 4th for $488 all in. They ought to be able to get from London to Dublin for around $100 - $120, so call it ca. $600 all in. Not a barn-burner, but about as good as one can hope for given very short notice and peak of peak season.
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM

If getting a cheaper flight means several days of lodging/meal expenses in London, the more expensive flight might actually be a bargain.
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, the cheapest I could find was $ 904.00. The cruise ship said they would have to leave either on the 1st or 2nd August , so not much choice of dates.

However we went to bed about 11pm last night NZ time, got up just now, looked at my cell phone, there was a message from DD saying had a meeting, we are going to try and finish the rest of the gig. (6 weeks to go). They have been playing 7 nights a week for 3 1/2 months, living in a tiny cabin in bunk beds, and I think it all got too much there for awhile.

Thanks for your help. May need it again before the 6 weeks are up.
Jul 25th, 2009, 03:58 PM

I had no problem finding a Continental flight for $780 from LHR to Newark on the 1st - but as it's unlikely that the cruise ship stops at London you need to add on the cost of port to LHR.

If it's typical and stops at Southampton then they could get a flight to Dublin with FlyBE from Southampton then US Airways to Newark for $700
Jul 25th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alanRow, yes the cruise ship docks at Southampton. I wasn't sure if there was an airport there, it's good to know they could fly to Dublin and then to Newark. Hopefully they will manage to stay for the next 5 weeks without to much drama. Then the cruise ship people will pay for their flights, a much better scenario in my opinion.