Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Can you beat the Saturday night stay required?

May 15th, 2001, 12:28 PM
nick

Flying from CLE to NYC on business. Going Wed, returning Fri. Cost is over $1,000. Instead, I could book 2 round trips covering the Saturday night at a cost of $200 each. I'd use just one half of each round trip and save $600. I know there is a term for this but can't remember what is called. Is this legal?

May 15th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Don

It's called back-to-back ticketing and is prohibited by most airlines. Try booking each ticket with different airlines and don't expect to earn mileage. Travel agents won't touch these anymore, so you're on your own.

Also, consider Southwest to Islip. Connects at BWI, but only $153 roundtrip with 7 day advance purchase. Tight connection on return.

May 15th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Josey

Don, how would an airline know you've done the back-to-back thing, so long as you don't book the two flights in the same phone call?

And what does the airline care if there's a seat that's empty but paid for in each direction? Isn't that why they consistently overbook flights?

May 16th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Jane Pond

Just read Peter Greenberg's book, The Travel Detective and he advocates the back-to-back method on 2 different airlines. Perhaps you will need to go back another time??

The real non-no is the hidden city ploy. You are not doing that.

May 17th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Josey

What is the hidden-city ploy?

May 17th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Kathy

If you book online they will know. American stores all my upcoming flights as I always book on their website. However, booking with two different lines will take care of that. You should still receive miles as it is not unusual to have only one segment show. Good Luck

May 23rd, 2001, 06:21 AM
Laura

Hidden city ticketing is when you want to fly say to Las Vegas from New York and you find it's cheaper to fly to Los Angeles. Passengers simply get off the plane in Las Vegas and save money but caution...when you check back in, the airlines do know that you've done it and can charge you the full price for your ticket. As for back to back ticketing, same thing applies, the airline knows you haven't used two of your flight coupons and will charge you accordingly. They know this practice exists and will get you when they can.

May 23rd, 2001, 03:27 PM
His Mom

Here's one for you experts/enforcers...

My son has to go from college in one city to another, distant city once a month for a special medical treatment. It was getting prohibitively expensive either to pay unrestrictive round trip fare or to put him up in a hotel for 2 nights minimum so that he could bracket the Sat. stay and still see a doc on a weekday -- plus he was losing all kinds of needed time on campus.

We finally figured out that we could leap-frog his plane reservations. That meant he'd book his outbound and inbound flights a month apart for the same day of the month -- e.g, a morning flight from city A to B on March 11 with return B to A evening April 8; then the same thing again for April 8th, and May 9th, and so forth -- if you follow that. Eventually, if (please God) he doesn't need the treatments anymore, he'll have to sacrifice one half of the last ticket, but for now that doesn't seem likely.

I'm terrified someone will figure it all out, decide it's Verboten, and blow a whistle, but I also don't really see what's so wrong with it, since he has to book way in advance anyway.

If someone knows the rule that says he can't do this, I'd appreciate knowing what it is -- and any suggestions as to how else to deal with the situation.

May 23rd, 2001, 03:29 PM
His Mom

I just realized that my description doesn't exactly explain it all -- sounds like he wouldn't get home on March 11, but the B to A ticket for March 11 gets the A to B return for April 8th -- if you follow all that.....

May 24th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Laura

Back to back ticketing isn't illegal, just against a violation of the airlines rules. I'm in total agreement with you, as a customer you should be able to buy whatever kind of ticket you want and use it whatever way you wish but the airlines don't agree. They're in the money making business. The rules governing this is under rule 100C. Depending on the airline they have the right to deny him boarding, cancel the reservation, confiscate the ticket and have him pay the additional money he saved. I just hope you're not buying your tickets through a travel agency (they'll also be billed if he gets caught).

May 24th, 2001, 07:37 AM
His Mom

Has anyone ever heard of any airline actually doing this -- denying boarding, confiscating ticket, etc.? Has it happened to anyone personally?