Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Buy Infant Seat on Intl Flight or No? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/buy-infant-seat-on-intl-flight-or-no-495263/)

KristaR Jan 13th, 2005 09:32 PM

Buy Infant Seat on Intl Flight or No?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Rome and are debating whether to buy our one year old his own seat. I read advice that we could bring his carseat and chance that a seat is available to avoid the fare. Is this too risky?

gail Jan 14th, 2005 01:58 AM

Yes - since most flights these days are full or close to it. Very little chance available seat would be near you. Years ago, they would let you put an "infant hold" on a seat - you book and pay for aisle and window and they hold middle seat for your non-paying infant unless it is the last seat on the plane. I seriously doubt they do this anymore.

I know it is quite expensive to buy a one-year old a seat. And then you have to lug the carseat. I will not give you safety lectures (others will do that for me) - but if you can possibly afford it think about whether or not you really want you kid climbing all over you for 8 hours. (The theory that they will fall asleep in your arms never works!)

clevelandbrown Jan 14th, 2005 05:58 AM

I often see people with infants in the bulkhead seats, where there is a little extra footroom and they can put the infant carrier on the floor.

MikeT Jan 14th, 2005 10:18 AM

Simple question: are you and your husband prepared to hold the child for 10 straight hours on your lap???

Patty Jan 14th, 2005 11:41 AM

I don't know which carrier you're flying to Rome, but check first to see if they'll allow you to install a car seat. Some European carriers do not. I believe Alitalia is one of them (just in case that's the carrier you're booked on or thinking of booking).

dutyfree Jan 17th, 2005 01:41 PM

It is not permitted to have an infant seat at your feet at the bulkhead.Children under the age of 2 must be in your lap or certified carseat.Do yourselves a favor and buy a seat for your child and you can also order a baby/toddler meal on most airlines too!

clevelandbrown Jan 18th, 2005 06:44 AM

I stand corrected. What I've seen was infants in a bassinet (provided by the airline) in the space in front of the bulkhead seats.

KristaR Jan 18th, 2005 07:01 PM

Thanks for all your advice. We have bought our son his own seat. Afterall, very precious cargo.

jnetkuwait Jan 24th, 2005 09:31 AM

We travelled extensively with our son in his car seat within Europe,Asia and the USA. The seat was purchased in the UK (Britax). On the European and Asian carriers it was accepted as no problem. On several US carriers they requested a certificate stating that it was approved for use on an aircraft. We checked with the company and they knew nothing of this policy. Several times we had to store the seat and use the airlines child belts on take off and landing, which I though unsafe, especially as our son had a dedicated seat of his own.