Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Bulletin: United is not the world's worst airline! (It's Air Zimbabwe!)

Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news, United Airlines is not the world's worst airline in terms of being contemptuous of its customers. The winner of this prize is Air Zimbabwe.

On Friday, Air Zimbabwe's board chairman, Mr Jonathan Kadzura, said that the airline's domestic routes between Harare and Bulawayo would be suspended, because its 2 737s are still grounded and it didn't make "business sense" to use its 767. Kadzura added that he is "not like a stupid bus operator who can authorise a bus to drive from Mutare to Harare with one passenger."

The Harare Herald said that scores of passengers were stranded with the flight cancellation. Air Zimbabwe said that passengers who had tickets for the Harare-Bulawayo flight were given 3 options: "Those who were in a hurry were asked to use a bus on Monday afternoon, while others had their flights re-booked for Wednesday. Those who felt hard done by the move will have their money refunded." The bus trip, for those "in a hurry," would take about 7 hours.

Mr. Kadzura further explained, "The decision to book people on buses were made by my management and I am fully behind them. That was the only sensible thing they could do. These things take a certain level of education to understand."

Take that, United!

source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201107010787.html
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM

C'mon! That's not that bad. Bus trip in 7 hours sounds really sensible. Many Fodorites on this board would take that in a sec, compared to sitting (in a plane) on the tarmac of JFK for 2 hours.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Good point, rkkwan.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 03:03 AM

Russian airlines are the very worst for me.Russia and other members of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) had the highest accident rate of all the regions That’s not just 13 times the global average – it’s almost twice as many losses per million flights as Africa, the poorest continent on the planet.

In russia it is fine for pilots to drink vodka on the job

when a tourist complains they are told not to worry

the plane "pratically flies itself"

The autopilot is called the "designated driver"

That is truly bad and very scary.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 07:24 AM

Add Air India's domestic service to your list. Have to go, but if anybody interested, I'll tell it in full....
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM

OK, I'm curious, mamamia2. What about Air India.....? Do tell.

Don, I know you really really really dislike UA and I'm not sure what that airline has done to you that is so horrible that you rank it the very worst. Lots of us do not feel that way. To each his/her own opinion!

I'm a (very) frequent UA flier, and I'm mostly happy with what I've gotten for my money. But I know that UA and/or their web site is not the best airline for securing frequent flier tickets! That's the one big complaint I have with them. They wait until I'm at the gate to tell me that I get an upgrade, and their site has NO availability offered on int'l flights using miles or SWUs or whatever other instrument one wants to use, for dates that I want to travel!! Buy a ticket and pray....???
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 03:21 PM

This was years ago... My dad was traveling with a group in India... After a very long and tiring security check, boarding a B737, waiting another 3 hours inside, they were told "the plane does not have sufficient brakes to land where they were suppose to land, 'cause the runway is not long enough" and needs to fly to "nearby" Mumbai, from where passengers would be taken to their destination via bus, another 4 hours trip....