Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Budget Airline from New York to San Fran (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/budget-airline-from-new-york-to-san-fran-439477/)

Kers Jun 6th, 2004 01:28 AM

Budget Airline from New York to San Fran

Can anyone tell me of any budget airlines that fly from New York (any airport) to San Francisco.

Thanks

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 6th, 2004 06:15 AM

The one that comes to mind is <b>www.jetblue.com</b>, flying from JFK to either Oakland or San Jose.

I don't know why you insist on budget airline, but if you think they will be cheaper on this route, you may be surprised to find that any major airline flying the same route will have the same or maybe even better fares.

Hann Jun 6th, 2004 10:24 AM

The only budget airline that flies to SF from New York is ATA. Jetblue does not fly into San Francisco.

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 6th, 2004 10:35 AM

<b>Hann</b>

For some citizens of San Francisco, the Oakland airport is closer than the SFO. And many don't have a problem flying in and out of San Jose.

bigtoes Jun 6th, 2004 06:51 PM

You may want to try the following site to try to find good deals

http://www.geocities.com/shoppingmall2/travel.html

Hann Jun 6th, 2004 10:01 PM

AAFrequentFlyer,

Well, Kers was specifically asking about budget airlines flying into San Francisco, <font color="black">NOT<font color="black"> Oakland or San Jose.

Kers,

Here's the website for ATA

www.ata.com </font></font>

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 7th, 2004 12:45 AM

Well <b>Hann</b>,
I guess the OP could take ATA to <b>SAN FRANCISCO AIRPORT</b>, with a plane change in Chicago and land at an airport that's about 25 miles from downtown San Francisco,
ATA - cramped seats, no TV, waisting time in Chicago

or

take JetBlue, non stop, to OAK and be about 15 miles away from downtown Dan Francisco.
JetBlue - nice seat pitch, individual satelite TVs in seat backs, non-stop.

Price = about the same

You decide, but of course you are correct <b>Hann</b>, the OP was asking specifically for San Francisco.

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 7th, 2004 02:15 AM

One correcton -

I meant 25 <b>minutes</b> if one were to take BART from SFO and 15 <b>minutes</b> by BART if one came into OAK.

<b>NOT MILES</b>

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 7th, 2004 08:38 AM

<b>Kers</b>,

5 of the six majors have non-stop fights between the 3 NY airports and the 3 San Francisco airports, and depending on the dates you need, at least 1 or 2 will beat any of the budget airlines on this route.

So it may be in your best interest to check ALL fares, not just the budgets.

Good luck! :-)

FainaAgain Jun 7th, 2004 02:44 PM

Southwest is flying in/out of Oakland, connection with SF by BART. This airport is as convenient as SFO if you're using BART, and about the same price. Shuttles to/from Oakland airport are more expensive.

Hann Jun 7th, 2004 08:05 PM

Well <b>AAFrequentFlyer,

ATA flies NONSTOP from New York LaGuardia to San Francisco.</b>

Flyboy Jun 8th, 2004 01:41 AM

The point is that if you catch it on the right day, any carrier might turn out to be a &quot;budget carrier&quot;. What makes sense is to be flexible and shop the FARES, rather than limit your search based on the sometimes faulty assumption that certain carriers will invariably produce the lowest cost tickets. Moreover, it certainly makes all the sense in the world to consider airport transfers as part of the total package because the money you spend will be just as green. It's typical to pay another $40+ one-way from SFO to a San Francisco hotel, compared to less than $10 roundtrip using BART.

rkkwan Jun 8th, 2004 07:45 AM

Yes, ATA flies LGA-SFO non-stop, but it's

ONE FLIGHT PER WEEK (on saturday)

clevelandbrown Jun 8th, 2004 07:54 AM

What is a good place to find the low-fare carrier fares? I had understood that Southwest, for example, is not included in any of the searching sites, and I wonder if other similar airlines are also excluded.

rjw_lgb_ca Jun 8th, 2004 12:07 PM

clevelandbrown: Time was that orbitz and/or travelocity would at least indicate JetBlue's fares (if they flew between two markets), though they could not ticket you. I don't know if they still do that.

My honest suggestion is to use orbitz and travelocity to get low-ball prices from the majors, then go to the low-fare websites (www.southwest.com, www.jetblue.com) and price out your desired itinerary. As AAFrequentFlyer points out, in competitive markets you may find the majors give the better deal (and more flight options).

It depends on your priorities. Since JetBlue and American compete in my home airport (LGB), cross-country fares are VERY competitive, so my choices (in 99% of my travel) boil down to schedule preferences. Fare differences tend to be less than $20 R/T. Good luck!

FainaAgain Jun 9th, 2004 02:56 PM

Cleveland, if you can open the airport website, and there are airlines listed, this is one of the ways to get a list of ALL carriers.

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 9th, 2004 03:15 PM

<b>As quoted by Clevelandbrown

What is a good place to find the low-fare carrier fares? I had understood that Southwest, for example, is not included in any of the searching sites, and I wonder if other similar airlines are also excluded.</b>

It's not that Southwest is <b>excluded by the websites</b>, it's because Southwest wants it this way. I can't remember what was the last site that listed their flights/fares, but Southwest either threatened or took the site to court to get the site to stop.

JetBlue is another one that insists on exclusitivity to show fares and sell tickets.