Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Flying BA in economy w/wife & 2 kids. Seat reservation suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read several threads about BA's policy of not allowing advance seat reservations for Economy/World Traveller. I'm concerned about this because my wife is a nervous flyer...and our two kids are ages 10 & 6 (I don't have any fears/problems/phobias about flying). My concern is that we may not be able to sit together (it's a 747-400...flying from DFW to LHR). I'm hoping that we will be assigned one of the middle "four-across" sections--but am afraid beacuase of the 24-hour rule that we may not get this.

Anyone have an anecdote/words of wisdom about this?
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM

<i>I've read several threads about BA's policy of not allowing advance seat reservations for Economy/World Traveller.</i>

They do allow it - more than 24 hours in advance you pay for it.

As for seating - go into your booking and act as if you want to pre-book a seat. You'll get to see how seat occupancy is going. At a guess you are worrying for no reason as, families apart, few people like the middle seats.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
When traveling with children 2-11, BA will assign seats 3 days in advance of the flight, rather than the standard 24 hours. Read about the policy here, under Economy/World Traveller: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...y/public/en_gb
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:14 AM

This might be a good opportunity to use a travel agent, who can handle these details on your behalf. You'll pay a fee, but it would be worth it for the peace of mind.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:24 AM

Doug's suggestion to use a travel agent is a good one. Also, as noted on BA's website, they make an attempt to seat families with small children together if they are all on one booking. If not all on one booking, you can contact BA and ask to have the bookings linked. Using your record locator number, you can check your booking(s) online 3 days before departure to make sure you are all seated together.

To take the worry out of the equation, you can pay to choose your seats in advance. At $38 per seat, it's expensive, but then what is peace of mind worth to you?