Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

British Airways: Is it no longer possible to pick your seats online?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH is trying to pick seats for the flights he just booked.

I thought I read that it's no longer possible. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Possible if you have status in the BA FF program or Sapphire/Emerald Oneworld status, otherwise not before T-24h, and not even then sometimes.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gardyloo. You tied with the BA agent, lol. No dice (we don't fly BA enough to have high enough FF status). Agent said perhaps 72/48 hours before. He said that usually they assign seats to a family of 5. I don't know whether to believe that or not, but...

IT DOESN'T MATTER, WE'RE GOING TO ENGLAND FOR CHRISTMAS!!!
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM

You get your seat assignment at checkin. You can checkin 24 hours in advance via internet. I suspect that they are trying to force your to use the internet for checkin.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 06:46 AM

Afraid so, they stopped allowing us to pick our own seats when booking online about a year or so ago - and this SUCKS!!

seetheworld, I wonder why did you choose BA over other transatlantic airlines like AA, UA, etc? BA's taxes and charges are about double the others (except VS).

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Perhaps it is the free alcohol in economy class.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Simple, bluesea, they offered the BEST fare for the time period we are flying. The largest portion of the per ticket cost was for taxes, but it still was the best fare offered.

I bragged about it here and we found ourselves scurrying to grab 5 of the remaining 9 seats. I'll never open my big mouth again, lol.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Hope you find BA's economy comfy!! What aircraft? 747 or 777 ?

I'm afraid we find that BA's 777 transatlantic economy the worst and most cramped.

Anyway, we are going to suffer at end of next month when we go to UK on BA's 777 - I know we vowed not to go on BA again BUT ...

BA was celebrating their 70 years of Bermuda service and offered us (Bermuda residents) 70% off the London R/T fares. The sale was on for only one week mid-Aug, and I bit the bullet and bought us seats to cross the pond to see my elderly Dad for a week (mid-term break).

Of course this deal was too good to pass up as we saved over $1,500 for the 3 of us. This is about the ONLY good thing BA ever did in decades!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Yup, we're flying on the dreaded 777, lol. Last year DH and I flew Traveler's Plus for an overnight, but since we were springing for 5 tickets, we're going cattle on Christmas Eve morning. In two days time, the BA return flight starting inching up in price (and as I said, the seats were disappearing quickly) -- so we bit the bullet too. We paid $469/ticket -- not bad.

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM

seetheworld,

Just to be clear, are you leaving 24 Dec and arriving 25 Dec? If so, please make sure you book a car service from LHR. There are no public transportation in London on Christmas Day, and I believe Heathrow Express is replaced by rather unreliable bus service.

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Also, if you are renting an apartment, you might be out of luck food- and dining-wise.

Can you book to stay in a nice hotel for the first couple of nights before moving into the apt?

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi there...

We are arriving the evening of the 24th. Our plans have evolved...we are booking a car service to bring us to the apartment on Christmas Eve. Now we are planning on staying put on Christmas Day -- our S&BIL may visit us instead and bring us food! We will then travel to celebrate with family on Boxing Day when the trains are up and running again. We have requested a starter package for the flat, but will pack some things to tide us over. Thanks for your help...it should be a very interesting Christmas.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:23 AM

Interesting! Don't forget a trip report when you return!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM

I'm relieved you're arriving 24th. Sounds like you're well-prepared logistics wise as well. Supermarkets should be open till around 6pm on 24th.
Just to be on a safe side, you may want to consider an alternative travel arrangements for Boxing Day. Last year, mainline train services had extensive netowrk repair work for the whole holiday period...
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:43 AM

Hi Seetheworld ... an update!!!

We came back home last night from UK on BA's 777.

The online check-ins opened at 9pm (24 hours) the night before we left but we were out for dinner. When we got home at midnight I immediately went online to check-in ... there were only 6 seats left!! So I grabbed 3 but not together - it was only 3 hours after the check in opened!

When we got to the airport we learnt the flight was VERY over-sold!! If I hadn't checked in online we probably would not make it.

I had a window seat which was pure hell. DH and DS both has aisle seats, different rows. The lady in front of me reclined her seatback all the way and I was so trapped - could not lift (yes lift) my legs. My two seat mates were a 10 yo boy and his 13 yo sister (their parents were in Club - go figure!), and I asked the girl if she minded swapping seats with me, and she was happy to do so.

Two days ago at the 24 hour mark I went to our neighbour's to use their internet to check in and was able to select center seats for the return. We sat together - DH and myself had aisle seats and DS sat in the middle, and it was good - we were lucky that the 3 people in front of us did not recline their seats at all!

So, STW ... go online to check in 24 hours before flight (you did say you grabbed 5 out of the last 9 seats - makes me suspect your flight must also be over-sold by now) ... avoid window seat (unless you are short and skinny) BA 777's seating is 3-3-3.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:13 AM

I do the BA online checkin at the 24hr mark. If you leave it any amount of time after the 24hr mark, the risk is that the pre-assigned seats cannot be changed to something more suitable. There are so many airlines that do not allow pre-assignment, even in business class.

Because a flight does not have any seats left for pre-assignment does not mean it is oversold.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the update, Bluesea! Since our 24 hours before departure will be an early Sunday morning and most people will have easy access to the computer, we'd better have quick fingers!

We'll also need to find access to a computer 24hrs prior to our return flight. Any ideas as to where we can find internet access in London?

Hope you had a nice trip, Bluesea.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Seetheworld,

Just a thought, but for your Christmas day meal why don't you look up pubs/restaurants near where you're staying and book a proper English Christmas dinner!!(Lunch to us...)

I have booked meals in advance of hols to USA from here in UK (just give CC info etc)without any problems.

They can be expensive (Xmas day lunch is), but it would be a lovely way for you to spend Christmas day, getting a feel of what an English xmas dinner is all about...

Most of the Supermarkets close about 4pm on xmas eve, so not a lot (if any) places open and because Christmas is very special here everywhere will be booked up so just popping into a pub/and or restaurant will be out of the question without a prior booking.

Failing that be cheeky and ask the letting company to supply you with a decent hamper of food so you can make a decent meal for Christmas day.

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Hello Ann. Thank you for your thoughts. We are still up-in-the-air on our Christmas plans. DH stills speaks of renting a car, but S&amp;BIL tell us to wait until the time gets closer to see how the weather is -- they don't want us driving in the fog, lol. In any case, I found a list of restaurants in the area and will start checking availability for Christmas Day. Have you ever used <b>TableFinder</b>?

And I will be cheeky and ask for a more substantial hamper of food (for my hungry sons).
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 04:04 AM

seetheworld,
Sorry, never used 'tablefinder' Don't know about London but where i live our local restaurants charge a lot more than say our local Pub for xmas day meal.

Am sure there must be sites that give pubs ratings and list whether they are doing xmas meals.

I mention this only because it might be a lot cheaper than a restaurant and just (maybe more) enjoyable, lots of people in very happy mood having a pre xmas drink (or 2) before they sit down for a lovely meal.

If hamper company are 'jobs worths' and only include a basic hamper in price, then i think its worth asking them to get you (your choice) of proper food for you to cook and just pay them the extra cost...

Whatever you decide i hope you have a lovely stay in London.