British Airways: Club World class

Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

British Airways: Club World class

We've decided to splurge and do business class from Phila to Heathrow. We've never flown with those flat-bed configurations. I think we want window and aisle seat, rather than 2 in the middle 4. Can anyone tell me whether any of the seats in Club are to be preferred over others? which maybe to avoid? Thanks! (I've not found seatguru very reliable.)
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:33 AM

Business Club with BA is to die for in my opinion. I have done it twice and will be doing it again in June. Remember when you check in to find out where the lounge is located and pour yourself a few drinks. I usually fly BA into Germany or France (with a stop in Heathrow) because the taxes are less. There are several great BA lounges at Heathrow and you can get a free shower, too. They will provide the towels.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Bri...nformation.php

You will need to click on 747 or 777 to see the configurations of the best seats. I like the upstairs on the 747. They have forward facing and backwards facing but I like to be on the isle.

All seats are excellent in my opinion. Seats are totally flat with no angle. Video on demand and no announcements during the night. Last year when the fasten seatbelt sign came on in the middle of the night, no announcement.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 09:17 AM

Agree with Wally, Club is great. I almost always fly Club for transatlantic. I horde my BA Executive Club miles to use for upgrades to Club: 25,000 miles plus purchase of Traveler Plus ticket.

On 747 I prefer 62 A or K, which are rear-facing window seats in the exit row upstairs. Lots of extra room lengthwise, two storage bins at the window plus a nice wide ledge, and the most private seats upstairs.

Second choice upstairs is 64 A or K, both rear-facing seats in the last row with lots of privacy and because there is a space between the bulkhead wall and the B and J seats, you can get out without climbing over your seatmate's legs.

On a 777 I prefer the A or K seats in the last row of the Club cabin, again because they are the most private and because you can get out without climbing over your seatmate's legs.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:21 AM

From Philadelphia, BA operates 767 and 777 flights to London. For two people traveling together, the best seat would likely be the two center seats in any row on the 777 (configuration is 2-4-2 in Club). Those would be the only seats where you'd be facing the same direction and you'd have the smallest barrier between the seats.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM

I responded to your question over on Cruise Critic. Note you'll have to pay $90 per seat to get advance seat selection prior to 24h before departure.

The OP is on one of the 777s.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks once more.
About this "barrier" between seats. Since I'm sort of a white-knuckle flyer, I often find myself gripping my husband's arm; and we often pull up the arm rest between us so that there's no barrier. In Club on those 777's, can it be such that there's no barrier between us-- or will there always be a partition of some sort? Can that partition thing not be made to disappear altogether?
Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM

No the partition comes about to armpit/shoulder height, then the movable screen goes up from that - pretty much like a car window. You can reach over the top of the partition and hold hands, but you'll be resting your forearm on the ledge.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

oh, wow-- thanks gardyloo. I'm starting to think that maybe our best bet is that next category down (premium economy or whatever BA calls it). I suspect that even with the flat seats, neither of us will get much sleep, and it's a comfort in those long flights-- esp the ones at night-- to be able to snuggle or at least have some sort of physical connection.
I'm very grateful to people who respond on these forums; it's a great help to us innocents.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:30 AM

When I fly BA in Club, I usually pass out instead of falling asleep.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM

Gardyloo is partially correct about the partition between the seats. In the center section, the seats are arranged 2 and 2 and there is a partition separating each from its partner seat. However, the center 2 seats of the 4 face the same way with a small space but no partition between them. See this diagram for seat layout: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...b/public/en_us

See this page, go to photos 2 & 5 at the top, for a picture of the 2 center seats: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...d/public/en_us
Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM

To clarify, the two center seats are E & F in each row, as shown in the diagram. There is an armrest but it is low, about elbow height, and a small partition but it folds away between the seat-backs. When the seats are extended to flat beds, there isn't any partition beyond the armrests, from about waist level to the feet.

Also meant to mention that in Traveler Plus (premium economy), the armrests aren't moveable, you can't fold them up or down to put them away. The meal service tables are in the armrests.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM

Right, I didn't mention the two aft-facing center seats because on another post the OP indicated she wasn't happy about the idea of facing the rear. However, they're not bad at all for couples traveling together. It might be hard to score them absent pre-paying for seat assignments.

Frankly, from the US east coast to London, I find that the flights are short enough that there isn't a lot of time for sleeping. After the usual take-off stuff, then a round of drinks, then the dinner service, it's often well over an hour, sometimes 2, until the cabin lights go down. Then they wake you up around an hour before landing and bring you a bacon butty and immigration forms, so when all's said and done you've got maybe 3 or 3 1/2 hours to "sleep."

(This is why I prefer the daylight flights that depart in the morning, which arrive in London in time to go through the passport/customs thing then get to a hotel near the airport and sleep in a bed. Have a couple of meals, watch some movies in flight, and bingo, you're there. The next day we find that jetlag is minimized. Even riding in coach we think it's just much easier on the system overall. There aren't any morning departures from PHL to LHR, but there are several from JFK, Dulles and Newark, also Boston and Chicago.)
Jan 23rd, 2011, 02:07 PM

We've never had trouble getting the E and F seats without paying to pre-book. I definitely prefer them to the window and aisle, since it's very difficult to converse in that configuration. I also found that the aisle seat was banged into by passerbys, stewards, etc.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Ah, if I could get even 3 hrs of shut-eye, that'd be a boon.
Marija-- it interests me what you say about conversing. That's important to us. But I really am reluctant to fly in that backwards position. I know that my husband would lose sight of that straight-off, but I suspect it'd be much in my awareness. Also: Is one really sufficiently separate from one's neighbors on the other side? From all those years in economy, I remember absolutely dreading those 4-across seats.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 03:05 PM

I flew once facing the back, and the only difference is the take-off is like landing and the landing is like take-off.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 03:30 PM

Poss, there's a tall opaque plastic divider between the two middle seats and the aisle seats. The two middle seats are quite private. We flew once in the window/aisle configuration and many times in the middle since that's our strong preference. Since you can't see out the window you really don't feel like you're flying backwards. The beds are comfortable so we sleep most of the time, totally unaware of what direction we're facing. I know what you're saying about the dreaded middle seats in economy which is why the first time we chose the window/aisle pair. On our return window/aisles were unavailable so we had to take the middle two. Those are our first choices now.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! And yet another question: I'm somewhat claustrophobic. When I look at photos of those compartments, my stomach kind of turns over. Anyone ever feel discomfort in that sense? Or know of folks who have?
Jan 23rd, 2011, 04:05 PM

you could always practice for the flight by lying in a coffin for 3 or 4 hours, a couple of times a week. You'll get used to it, and that way you won't freak out or anything on the plane.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 04:45 PM

BA068 Philadelphia to LHR is a sleeper service, which means you can have a pre-flight supper in the Club lounge. The cabin lights are turned down right after take-off, staff tries to minimize any noise or disturbance, and you can get a good number of hours of sleep if you want. Also, you can sleep through breakfast on the flight if you want and get a hot breakfast and nice shower in the Arrivals lounge at Heathrow. That's what I always do.

Also, I almost always fly long-haul facing rear-ward because my favorite seats happen to face that way, and it doesn't bother me at all. Have never noticed anything different about it. I really prefer it now because when landing you're pressed back against your seat rather than flopping forward against the seatbelt.

I'm somewhat claustrophobic too, but the Club cabins seem airy and expansive and don't bother me once I'm inside and settled. Even the upper deck on the 747, which is quite a bit narrower, doesn't bother me because it feels so roomy.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 05:11 PM

BA 68 is a 767, most of which (all?) still have the previous generation of Club World seats. They're still fore- and aft-facing, but are arranged 2-2-2, rather than 2-4-2 as on the 777s. The advantage of the middle row is that both passengers have aisle access, rather than having to climb over someone if you're at a window.

I find the window Club seats on the 767s to be quite claustrophobic as the fuselage is much more curved than on the bigger 777s (or of course the 747s.) However the middle set of two seats is quite nice (one faces front, the other back.) That generation of Club would actually be more conducive to hand-holding, and having the dinner at the lounge before departure would mean that much more of the flight could be spent sleeping. I'd look into that option myself.

Search this Thread