Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

British Air Qs: Changing at Heathrow; paying for seats

Nov 1st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

We usually fly nonstop internationally, but I'm considering some BA flights which connect through Heathrow. They are PHL-AMS on 3/16 and CDG-PHL on 3/24. My questions:

Would our luggage be checked through to the final destination? No need to gather it at Heathrow and re-check in? Is two hours sufficient change time? Is it likely all the flights will be at Terminal 5?

BA is now charging to choose seats ahead of time. Something like $30 each. Worth it?

Any tips on BA or Heathrow would be appreciated!

Melissa
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM

BA will check your luggage through to your final destination and you won't even have to go through immigration checks. And two hours is more than enough, in fact it's probably enough time for a quick meal and to max out your CCs at the Mall with gates

As for seats booked in advance, you can do it for free 24 hours in advance, but whether paying in advance is worth it is only a question you can answer
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM

BTW it's British Airways or BA, not British Air.
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:20 PM

Yes, both flights will be via T5.
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM

As above. Regarding paying for the seats...

If you are pretty sure you will be able to check in online at T-24 then I wouldn't bother. Only a handful of seats are better than the others and you won't get them as a non-elite. Not worth more money to pick from among what is left. T-24 should be good enough to ensure you aren't stuck in the middle.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies. Sounds like changing gates/planes at T5 shouldn't be a problem.

As for the seats, there are two of us, would we get two together? I know it's impossible to predict, but would hate to find a bunch of singles at 24 hours in. Am I a control freak?

Still thinking these flights are preferable to a costly, narrow-body USAir(ways) 757, even if it is direct...
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:29 AM

Sounds like changing gates/planes at T5 shouldn't be a problem.

More than no problem. The terminal is excellent. There may be the occassional line, but it might be the best transit terminal in Europe. And I say that as a committed fan of AMS.

As for the seats, there are two of us, would we get two together? I know it's impossible to predict, but would hate to find a bunch of singles at 24 hours in.

It is hard to predict, but I've always seen tons of seats available if you check in at T-24. I wouldn't want to wait until the airport, but I would think it an acceptable risk it at T-24. No guarantees, though. Few of us have enough experience with the new system to give you much more than an educated guess.