Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   booking on line air ticket to Rome, Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/booking-on-line-air-ticket-to-rome-italy-835752/)

rml Apr 14th, 2010 05:10 PM

booking on line air ticket to Rome, Italy

any suggestions on booking online air ticket to Rome, Italy..Expedia?Orbitz? Cheap tickets? or any other one with reasonable price and good customer service...thanks!!

Andrew Apr 14th, 2010 05:21 PM

I usually go directly with the airline's own website, unless there is a much cheaper price available from one of the travel websites. If you have to make any changes, it's almost always easier to deal with it directly with the airline - and if you used, say, Orbitz, you have to deal with them, not the airline, to make any changes - and the change fees are often steeper.

I like to use www.kayak.com to check prices and schedules. Unlike Orbitz or Expedia, they do not directly sell tickets - they look for the best price and direct you to the other websites.

FYI, Delta may still have a 24 hour change-your-mind policy regarding ticket purchases. Northwest used to and I think Delta has had one also. That means, if you book a ticket tonight and the price is $100 less tomorrow, you can cancel the original within 24 hours and re-book at the lower fare for no penalty. You can't do things like that if you booked with Orbitz.

rml Apr 14th, 2010 05:46 PM

Andrew thanks for the info!!

kybourbon Apr 14th, 2010 06:10 PM

I also book directly with the airline. Where are you flying from? Are you only visiting Rome? It might be cheaper to fly into one city and out of another. Check flights to PSA (Pisa), MXP (Milan Malpensa), LIN (Milan Linate), VCE (Venice), FCO (Rome).

yestravel Apr 14th, 2010 06:37 PM

Also book thru the airline website unless there is a super deal elswehere, but I haven't had that in quite awhile. Use kayak and farecompare to track and see the history of the fares.

smithr8020 Aug 18th, 2010 01:44 PM

I'm going to Rome in November and have been watching the fares, and nothing round trip lower than just about $900.
I've read that after Summer the fares may drop so I am waiting/ watching until Sept/ early Oct to book..
Trip planned is for Nove 18-30th the dates are a bit flexible.
Any ideas? Thanks Robin
We are only seeing Rome, w side trip to Blue Grotoe and Pompei.... a day each, 7 full in rome, two travel days. (myself and 18 year old son!)

Andrew Aug 18th, 2010 01:54 PM

Would help just a little bit to know where you are flying FROM. Airfares vary greatly based on originating city...

smithr8020 Aug 18th, 2010 01:55 PM

oops, LAX Southern California!

thanks
Rob

Debi Aug 18th, 2010 02:05 PM

I don't know when exactly you're going - but one thing to check is to look at the airports on the East Coast. You may be able to get an awesome flight from New York, Boston, DC or Atlanta, etc - and then see if you can get a great flight from LAX to that Port. Again - not sure what day of the week you can fly (based on your dates, there seems to be alot of flexibility) - but try that avenue. It could be worth it....