Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Booking International Travel for Upcoming Xmas/New Years?

May 23rd, 2019, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning a trip to visit Europe and N. Africa for the Christmas and New Years holiday this year to spend the holidays with my MILs family who lives in England, and we are looking at booking flights into London and out of Madrid.

I thought that booking nearly 7 months out would mean prices were more reasonable, but they seem to be quite high already compared to other international flights we have taken. I totally get that its a popular time of year for travel. But in just the past week some flights we were looking at have gone from $800 RT to around $1400 RT in almost no time.

As someone who has not travelled internationally over the Holidays before, I am wondering, even this far out, if this is probably the cheapest prices we'll find and it will only go up, or if we may find cheaper fares with more flights added if we wait a few more months?

May 23rd, 2019, 02:07 PM

I've been looking at flights to Europe since February, knowing that I wouldn't be able to book that early even if I wanted to as my dates aren't yet firm. They've been crazy expensive. The more I look, the higher they go, which makes me think it's cookies at work.

We visit Europe pretty regularly over Christmas (or leading up to) and we've found good prices 3-4 months out. Like you, I'm hoping that's going to happen this year too, but one never knows.
May 23rd, 2019, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Melnq8 , yeah it definitely seems like a game of roulette in terms of waiting. I've had a price alert on for about a month and it has just been steadily going up and we have pretty specific dates we would want to be there due to trying to coordinate with family abroad so I am a bit worried about waiting. But at the same time if I book today for what it's currently at for cheapest flight ($945) and then I find a fare for $600 or something a couple months from now I'm gonna kick myself!
May 23rd, 2019, 02:21 PM

>>or if we may find cheaper fares with more flights added if we wait a few more months?<<

More flights added isn't very realistic. Airlines can't just add flights on short notice.

The airlines price tix based on very complicated logarithms - seats in the same section could cost hundreds of $$ different three days apart and next month those prices could switch. There is no strategy that will 'beat' them. Book when find a fare you can live with and don't look back. Open Jaw tickets (like your in to London and home from Madrid) are usually best . . . but sometimes flying R-T in/out of the same city is worth booking. Like R-T London and then using easyJet or some other budget airline to get you back to London could save hundreds - depending on which airline/alliance you're using. Just don't book a flight back to London the same day as your flight out - fly in the evening before.

Over the holidays has much more leisure traffic and much fewer business flyers . . . So often there are bargains for premium seats.
May 23rd, 2019, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

janisj Yes we were originally looking at flying RT out of London but it was suggested to us to look at flying out of Madrid since we'll end in Spain. Price wise its only about a $50 difference to leave out of London vs Madrid, and all research indicated we'll spend at least that getting ourselves back to London, not to mention the extra travel time.
May 23rd, 2019, 03:57 PM

But at the same time if I book today for what it's currently at for cheapest flight ($945) and then I find a fare for $600 or something a couple months from now I'm gonna kick myself!

I wish I could find a flight for $945 for my dates and destination. If I could, and my dates were firm, I'd be booking.
May 23rd, 2019, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Melnq8 View Post
But at the same time if I book today for what it's currently at for cheapest flight ($945) and then I find a fare for $600 or something a couple months from now I'm gonna kick myself!

I wish I could find a flight for $945 for my dates and destination. If I could, and my dates were firm, I'd be booking.
Yes I think we are going to just go for it. Our dates are pretty solidifed and I'd hate to end up paying $1400 down the road for what could have been $945.
May 23rd, 2019, 11:09 PM

Yes, that could happen and that's why janise said (and what most other savvy travelers will tell you) - - When you see a fare you can live with book it and DON'T LOOK BACK. The operative words here are "DON'T LOOK BACK".

Just resign yourself to the fact that some people on your flight will have paid more for their ticket and others will have paid less - it's just a fact of life when it comes to airfares.
Jun 15th, 2019, 03:32 AM

We booked our Munich flights two months ago but we are flying to Dublin, spending the night and then taking a Lufthansa flight to Munich, Coming back on the 30th and staying three nights in Dublin for NYE. It really made it affordable plus love having a day in Dublin and then NYE there. Booking to Munich was $$$$ from the US. My husband subscribes to Scott's cheap flights and almost every cheap flight has blackout days for the holidays. We had booked our holiday apartment in March so at least had Christmas accommodations in GP and found a nice hotel in Munich in a good location. Not now, they are gone and prices have risen.
Jun 15th, 2019, 05:58 AM

Sorry, GP?
Jun 15th, 2019, 10:36 AM

I'm guessing Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Macross - I'm also guessing you booked on separate tickets? I'm trying to think outside the box with our tickets, but not sure the hassle is worth the potential savings.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jun 15th, 2019 at 10:45 AM.
Jun 15th, 2019, 01:50 PM

I'm guessing Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Macross - I'm also guessing you booked on separate tickets? I'm trying to think outside the box with our tickets, but not sure the hassle is worth the potential savings.
Yes, I just didn't want someone to think we had booked an apartment in Munich. I book Aer Lingus as a RT flight from Orlando. I then go to Lufthansa or Aer Lingus Euro webpage not USA webpage and book my connecting tickets that way and it is always much cheaper. We went with Lufthansa for the times of the flights more than anything. Both were about the same in price. I have done this several times going to Scotland, Frankfurt and Munich. We get good deals on Aer Lingus normally. You never have to twist my arm to spend the night or three in Dublin.

Last edited by Macross; Jun 15th, 2019 at 01:53 PM.
Jun 16th, 2019, 12:41 PM

Aer Lingus came up several times during my search yesterday. I've never flown them (have flown Lufthansa a lot though). How is Aer Lingus as airlines go?

My closest international airport is Denver - had originally planned on the direct DEN-MUC flight, but that's the one that's so expensive. Also considering DEN to MUC via Reykjavik on Iceland Air, but I have some concerns with that given last year's experience. They're not exactly cheap either, unless I go through a third party which I tend to avoid.
Jun 17th, 2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ericarenee427 View Post
Thanks Melnq8 , yeah it definitely seems like a game of roulette in terms of waiting. I've had a price alert on for about a month and it has just been steadily going up and we have pretty specific dates we would want to be there due to trying to coordinate with family abroad so I am a bit worried about waiting. But at the same time if I book today for what it's currently at for cheapest flight ($945) and then I find a fare for $600 or something a couple months from now I'm gonna kick myself!
You've been watching the fares keep going up. In a couple of months you might be kicking yourself because you could have had the tix for $945.

If price is acceptable and for the flights I want (date, time, carrier, airport, aircraft type) then I would buy it now.

I would hold out for a lower price only if I was willing not to go if I did not get my price.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Jun 17th, 2019 at 10:59 AM.