booking flight directly thru the airline

Jul 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

booking flight directly thru the airline

Hi,

I have been searching many of the on-line travel booking sites and found a nice schedule that l like for my trip to Italy. I read that some travellers search for flights on these travel sites and then book directly through the airline but how do I do this when there is more than one airline involved?

Here is the suggested itinerary from Aug. 11 to Nov. 11, 2009.

AC 416 Air Canada
11-Aug-09 Tue
Toronto YYZ
Toronto Lester B Pearson Intl Apt, CA (YYZ)
3:00pm-4:11p m
Economy AC 892
Air Canada

Montreal YUL
Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau Int Apt, CA (YUL)
11-Aug-09
Tue
Montreal YUL
Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau Int Apt, CA (YUL)
Rome FCO
5:30pm-7:25a m +1 this flight arrives the next day
7h 55m
763 Economy

AP* 3402 Air One Operated by Alitalia
12-Aug-09 Wed
Rome FCO
to Lamezia Terme SUF
Lamezia Terme, IT (SUF)
9:20am-10:30a m
1h 10m
321 Economy
AP 6827 Air One

12-Nov-09 Thu
Lamezia Terme SUF
Milan LIN
Milan Linate Apt, IT (LIN)
1:10pm-2:45pm
1h 35m
320 Economy

BA 563 British Airways
12-Nov-09 Thu
Milan LIN
Milan Linate Apt, IT (LIN)
London LHR
London Heathrow Apt, GB (LHR)
3:50pm-4:55pm
2h 05m
319 Economy

AC 859 Air Canada
12-Nov-09 Thu
London LHR
London Heathrow Apt, GB (LHR)
Toronto YYZ
Toronto Lester B Pearson Intl Apt, CA (YYZ)
7:05pm-10:25p m
8h 20m
763 Economy

How would I book this? If I book this on AC, can I add the extra airlines or can you only do this when you are dealing with one airline?

Thank you.
Jul 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Some airlines have code share with other airlines. I think you would have to know if they do. Also they could be part of a group - such as Star Alliance or One World.

However, have you tried to just look on Air Canada and see what you can get as far as itinerary goes?

I just booked on Orbitz for the first time in 7 years! I always book directly through the airlines themselves - I figure that if there's a problem, I'm dealing directly with the airline and not having to go through an intermediary. However, for this trip the best fare price and schedule was combining 2 different airlines. So we did it through Orbitz.

There are much more knowledgable Fodorites than I about this. Hopefully someone will reply and give you a better answer.
Jul 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM

These airlines are not all in the same alliance. You wouldn't be able to do this online, but you can call the airline of your choice and supply the exact itinerary you want and have them issue the ticket. The major advantage to this is that you have all your flights on one reservation and should there be any flight delay that causes you to miss a connection they would have to reaccommodate you. If you are on separate tickets you would be left holding the bag in case of such a problem.

You can try this: Put together your itinerary at http://matrix.itasoftware.com. At the last page, click the option to show booking details and you will have everything the airline agent needs to put together the itinerary.

BTW are the dates in your OP accurate? Is this a mileage run or something?
Jul 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Seamus for showing me how to set up my flight. I'm going to try it out.

"BTW are the dates in your OP accurate? Is this a mileage run or something?"
Do you mean "Am I going for 3 months?" Yes I am. I am flexible with my dates. I am looking betwen August 10-12 and November 10-12.

Search this Thread