Booking airline seats

May 19th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Booking airline seats

Do airlines always release the tail end seats first??
May 19th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Jed

Please elaborate on your question. What do you mean by 'release'.
May 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

What I meant was do airlines release the tail end seats first when book online?
May 19th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Which airline? I would guess that each airline is different.In the few times i have had to book my ticket on aa.com, for example, seat assignment defaults to the rear rows.I always change it, unless there is no choice.Some sites may have no default at all.I hope that is what you are asking.
May 19th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Jed

Wnen I book online, I can see which seats are available in the whole cabin, and can book any that are not already reserved. I don't find that I am limited to the rear seats, and then look again later and find more in front. So I still don't understand about 'release'.

Are you choosing the seats yourself, or are you letting the airline site choose them for you?

So my answer to your question would be: NO
May 20th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

I am planning to book my flights with UA travelling frm Spore-MCO-SFO-Sin on 1st-17th Dec. I was just checking the rates online and looking at the how the seats are configured for the different planes. I realised that for most of the flights in DEC, there is an awfully lot of seats being 'unavailable' except for those at the rear. So my guess is that the UA has only made those rear seats available to get them filled up before those at the front. I am just wondering if my assumption is correct.
May 20th, 2008, 04:06 AM

On United, the front part of the economy cabin is the Economy Plus section, which has a few extra inches of legroom. These seats will be blocked on the seat map unless you're eligible to book them.

To do so, you must have United elite status or pay a supplement. You can either buy an annual subscription ($349 per year; covers all flights for the subscriber and one other), buy up at check in/gate, or buy up when you purchase the ticket. The latter has been offered selectively in the past but is now advertised on the website.

Search this Thread