Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Booked flight for June 19 Auckland -LAX then Las Vegas

Oct 6th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Last month I booked an Air N Z flight from Auckland to LA,, arriving 12. 40pm. We then have a connecting flight to Las Vegas with Alaskan Air leaving 3.45pm. Now I am panicking that we are not going to have enough time to be get through immigration, pick up bags, and get to the other terminal. Will we have to go through security again.? If so I think our chances of making the flight are slim.

Was this a bad idea. Anything I can do to make it easier to get to the other terminal more quickly?
Oct 7th, 2018, 05:44 AM

Are these on different tickets or the same?

You can go "airside" between the Tom Bradley International Terminal, which Air NZ uses, to Terminal 6 where Alaska operates. You'd go through passport control and customs, then - if your bags are tagged through to LAS - drop them at a bag drop, then walk through a series of tunnels and bridges to go from TBIT to T6. Once you're past customs, the walk should take ~15-20 minutes. It's a little bit "indirect," shall we say (up and down, etc.) but well signposted.

Now if you're on separate tickets with checked bags, i.e. if your bags aren't tagged through to LAS, then you might have to go to bag claim and out to the street, then walk to T6, maybe around 200 yards/meters from the TBIT exit, then go back in and re-check your bags and go through security. Even with this alternative, you should be cooling your heels in T6 with at least an hour to spare before your flight to Las Vegas. LAX is much more efficient on this front than it was in the past.
Oct 7th, 2018, 07:39 AM

nelsonian - I think you'll be fine.

Our connection time between our Air NZ flight from Auckland to LAX and our UA flight to COS back in May was just over 2.5 hours. We had plenty of time to spare (even without UA's typical delay). And IME Air NZ flights tend to arrive early at LAX.

As mentioned by Gardyloo, you can walk from terminal to terminal air side, although it's a bit of a labyrinth. It's more efficient than it looks. Dropping your pre-tagged bags after clearing Customs is quick and easy too.
Oct 7th, 2018, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

We are on separate tickets, so will have to pick up bags, and then re-check them and go through security again. Thank you both, it has put my mind to rest. I always thought there were huge waits getting through immigration at LAX. We have also flown via San Francisco previously, and they have taken up to two hours sometimes to get through immigration.
Oct 8th, 2018, 06:03 AM

nelsonian - There can be very long queues at LAX, but Automated Passport Control has sped things up quite a bit. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can use the self-serve kiosks.

<<APC kiosks can be utilized by U.S. citizens, U.S. legal permanent residents, Canadian citizens, travelers utilizing ESTA (Visa Waiver Program), and travelers entering with a B1/B2 or D visa.>>

And even if you don't meet the requirements, the kiosks take pressure off the standard immigration queues, so theoretically, you'll still get through much faster than in the past.

We used to fly into LAX from Singapore/Toyko/Seoul quite frequently and then connect to a domestic flight on separate tickets - (we were unable to book on one ticket from Perth-Singapore-LAX-Denver, despite Singapore Airlines and UA being partners, drove us nuts). We had to leave the airport and walk from TBIT to T 7-8 - (I believe there are shuttles, but we never took one) then clear security again, but our bags were always checked through from our destination, so I have no first hand experience in that regard, but if Gardyloo says it can be done, I have no doubt that it can.

FWIW - I see that Alaska Air isn't part of any alliance, but you might ask Air NZ when you check in if there's any way you can have your bags checked and tagged all the way to LAS. Just show both tickets and ask. You still need to clear them in Customs and walk them to the recheck desk but that's quick and easy.
Oct 8th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Melnq. I did read where Alaska closes bag drop off at 40 minutes before scheduled flight time, which cuts the time down a bit. We have used the self checking machines at San Francisco, but we still had to go through the procedure of talking to the TSA agent at the booth and doing everything again. It seemed pointless doing the self check!! May its because we are not US citizens.
Oct 8th, 2018, 04:28 PM

That was probably the case nelsonian. I've no first hand experience as a non-US citizen
Oct 9th, 2018, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Melnq8 View Post
FWIW - I see that Alaska Air isn't part of any alliance, but you might ask Air NZ when you check in if there's any way you can have your bags checked and tagged all the way to LAS. Just show both tickets and ask. You still need to clear them in Customs and walk them to the recheck desk but that's quick and easy.
Just to clarify, it doesn't matter if two airlines are in the same alliance. Most airlines have "interline baggage agreements" with each other, but those agreements generally apply only when all the flights are on the same "PNR" or reservation. While most airlines (the exceptions generally being the low-cost airlines like Southwest, easyJet, etc.) can issue tickets on other airlines' "metal," their websites generally don't promote this functionality, for obvious business reasons. However, if you book multi-carrier tickets through online ticket agencies like Expedia, or through a human travel agent that knows how, you can easily set this up. In those cases, say in Nelsonian's situation, the Air NZ agent at the airport at check-in would see the connecting flight to Las Vegas right on their computer screen, and could print bag tags that would allow them to be re-checked right after customs at LAX, and which would then allow "airside" passage to T6. As it is, however, Nelsonian is going to have to go "landside" and physically move the bags to T6. The computer systems involved would also insure that not only would the connection have to be "legal" in terms of minimum connection time, but that if the Las Vegas flight was missed, they'd be put on a later flight with no penalty.

Since the trip isn't until June, however, it might be worthwhile to see if the Air NZ ticket could be amended (with a change fee, no doubt) to include an onward flight to LAS, or if the Alaska ticket could be surrendered (again, probably with a change fee.) I doubt it would be cost-effective, but it might be worth examining. Alaska is a very big carrier in the west, so maybe the Alaska ticket could be used as a credit against another flight. Nelsonian, are you immigrating to Las Vegas or coming back to NZ?
Oct 9th, 2018, 11:06 AM

I suspect nelsonian is entirely too smart to immigrate to Las Vegas
Oct 9th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo no, not immigrating to LAS!!! Just a stopover on the way to visiting our baby grandson in New York. June is his 1st birthday. We are planning to hire a car at Las Vegas and drive to the Grand Canyon, spend the night, and then drive through Ssedona. and end up at Phoenix to fly to New York. Flying Delta I think.

I think any change fares will be prohibitive, but will investigate. Are you saying Gardyloo that we are unlikely to make the flight!
Oct 9th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo, are you able to see how many international flights will be landing at LAX around the 12.40pm landing time. I could get a later flight on Alaska Air but will cost $ 125 US each to change.
Oct 10th, 2018, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by nelsonian View Post
Gardyloo, are you able to see how many international flights will be landing at LAX around the 12.40pm landing time. I could get a later flight on Alaska Air but will cost $ 125 US each to change.
Go here: https://www.flylax.com/en/flight-search-list and sort for TBIT arrivals.

The issue isn't really how many flights are arriving, it's how heavily staffed the border control stations might be. To be honest, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. In the worst case I'd bet the Alaska Airlines people would simply put you on the next flight and scold you. And for what it's worth, the walk-up price on a LAX-LAS flight for later today (my time) is US$76.
Oct 10th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo, I should stop stressing. Just another question though. What are the consequences of booking a later flight now, and not cancelling the earlier one. The earlier one will get cancelled if you don't show up, but will they still be okay with passengers who check in on the same airline for a flight two hours later.
Oct 14th, 2018, 03:17 PM

No need to book anything now. You flying to Vegas on a Wednesday afternoon and that is going to be an inexpensive flight. Besides, there is plenty of time for schedule changes for the flights you already booked. No need to fly the same airline later. AA or Delta could have a better price/schedule.