Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Boeing's Green Jet - Sounds very promisning for the environment!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://fifthdimension.wordpress.com/

Yes, the Green Jet sounds like an innovation. How long until the Dreamliner sees thru an Environmentalist's dream?
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM

a great innovation indeed! but I am afraid the "environmentalist's dream" is for us not to fly at all. how many flights you take a year is part of your carbon footprint, yada yada yada. The 787 actually does something good for the environment.

maybe we should all sing koom-by-ya and not travel for the benefit of the planet. oh wait, this is a travel site (and the airline section to boot)- never mind.

can't wait to fly the dreamliner!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Isn't commercial air travel simply another form of mass transport? Isn't that a good thing?
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:46 PM

More fuel efficient = lower cost for airline = lower cost for passenger = more passengers = more planes and more flight = same environmental impact.

Same issue with vehicles.

Basically, there are two solutions.

One is eliminate fossil fuel in transporation. There are nuclear powered submarines, aircraft carriers, ice-breakers, etc. Why not airplanes?

Second is to make fossil fuel extremely expensive. Like gasoline in Europe. $8 a gallon, and people won't drive as much. Tax the airline, tax aviation fuel, or reregulate the air travel market. $4,000 for a coach seat to Europe, $2,000 domestic, minimum. You'll see 1/3 the airplanes in the sky immediately.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 05:18 AM

I recall a small study on nuclear powered aircraft and the conclusion was that the cost (in terms of weight primarily) would greatly exceed the environmental impact. (I don't know how they compared these two fruits but there it was.) Compare the amount of fuel the STS rocket needs to carry, just to be able to lift the fuel it will need later!

The cost of generating lift in air as opposed to on land or water is significantly higher; I would look more to gas operated fuel cells in the future.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Very good points, rkkwan and NoFlyZone. The nuclear-powered aircrafts have been designed only for the military so far. I wonder if solar energy could be tapped for this purpose.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 07:57 AM

I would be more concerned about the volume of pop cans and plastic bottles from all of the airliners that are never recycled!