Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Checking to final destination (BOS-RHO on Lufthansa)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Just did online check-in on Lufthansa.com for travel from BOS-RHO with stops in FRA and ATH on Wednesday 7/11. I was unable however to check-in to my final destination of RHO. Instead I was only allowed to check-in until ATH. Is this normal? I have never experienced this and usually have been able to check-in straight through to my final destination.

Is this an issue that can be resolved with a Lufthansa attendant at the airport (BOS)? My main concern is a tight layover of 55 mins when I get to Athens. Obviously, I would prefer not to have to go to baggage claim and then re-check the bags as that will effect my ability to make the final flight from ATH-RHO.

Any advice on the topic would be fantastic. Many thanks to all.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 08:39 PM

What airline is flying the final leg? That's ususally why you can't chec-in for the last leg.

You have to find out the locator number of the last leg, and then check in.

My take is that you're too late.

You should have figured this out on day one.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Aegean Airlines is flying the final leg, but the journey is all on the same Lufthansa booking, in other words I have a flight booked on Lufthansa from BOSTON to RHODES with layovers in FRA and ATH.

I completed the exact same trip last year with absolutely no problems, so I am unsure what you are talking about when you say I should have figured this out on day one??

Aegean and Lufthansa are code-share partners so I assumed that the flight this year would go exactly as the one taken last year (booked on same site-Lufthansa.com, same airlines, same route, etc).

Some help would be appreciated. I assume the first step I should take is speaking with someone from Lufthansa at BOS. Though I will gladly accept any other useful ideas from the always knowledgable group here.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 06:01 AM

Unless things have changed, you should still be able to check your baggage through to RHO and then get your boarding pass in ATH at the gate.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 08:56 AM

I am currently booked on SWISS airlines, but the ticket was issued by United.

I had to get the SWISS locator number so that I could book seats.

Aegean airlines is where you'll have to go to get your routing number and ability to check-in, unless you do it at the airport.

You should check the Athens airport to get an idea of the distnace between the two airlines' bording gate.

As far as luggage goes, you should not have to worry about that, as Greece is also a Shengen country. Once you clear FRA customs, there should be no customs until you land at your final destination. You're transiting in Greece, so stay in the post security check-in line, and you should be fine.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 12:54 PM
J62

Just make sure your bag is tagged all the way to RHO. I'd not be concerned about getting a boarding pass before ATH.

You will NOT go through customs at FRA, only immigration. You will pass through customs at RHO, once you retrieve your bags.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 06:23 PM

Actually, Aegean usually makes you check in in Athens. But this is indeed odd if they are code share partners with Lufthansa. Have you asked about this on FlyerTalk? You might get a better answer. It's easy enough to check in for the Aegean flight in Athens. I've done this several times, and it doesn't require a lot of time. You may be able to sort this out when you check in for the flight in Biston. Otherwise, you just reclaim your luggage in Athens and head to the Aegean counters. Not the end of the world but a slight inconvenience I realize.