Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Biz class fares SIN-SYD (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/biz-class-fares-sin-syd-379968/)

moremiles Jun 16th, 2008 12:51 PM

Biz class fares SIN-SYD

I was lucky enough to snag a FC SQ seat to SIN but have to buy a tkt to SYD and the biz fares seem extremely high. Do any of you have any ideas of how to bring the cost down-I don't mind connecting someplace. Thanks

Sarvowinner Jun 17th, 2008 04:35 AM

If you can get a cheap flight to Bali, you can buy a Starclass seat on Jetstar for a very reasonable price - tho it's a poor man's biz class, we found it very comfortable and the FAs were lovely.

We are oneworld and earned full biz class points and status points for only AUD 300 more than eco that doesn't earn anything.

Gardyloo Jun 17th, 2008 06:24 AM

<i>I was lucky enough to snag a FC SQ seat to SIN but have to buy a tkt to SYD and the biz fares seem extremely high. Do any of you have any ideas of how to bring the cost down-I don't mind connecting someplace. Thanks</i>

In August? January?

Patty Jun 17th, 2008 06:43 AM

September http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35137074

moremiles Jun 17th, 2008 07:19 AM

Sorry, yes, this is for mid-Sept. I may just have to use some UA miles(if possible) for a tkt on SQ or TG.

JamesA Jun 17th, 2008 08:08 AM

From SIN to SYD in September Business Class return flight from around SGD 5,300 with SQ , First about 8,000, about 4,000 via BKK with Thai or KL with Malaysia, that compares with about SGD 695 for Economy/Coach on SQ.

JamesA Jun 17th, 2008 08:12 AM

Misa Travel Singapore is quite a good site for fares ex SIN,
www.airfares.com.sg/

moremiles Jun 17th, 2008 08:45 AM

Thanks James, those were the only fares I was seeing also and can't get anything better from my usual consolidator here.

Gardyloo Jun 17th, 2008 08:57 AM

From ITA, early September...

Singapore - Kuala Lumpur, US$129 coach, $177 business (JL)

Kuala Lumpur - Medan, Indonesia, $177 coach, $236 business (MH)

Medan - Sydney via Kuala Lumpur, $1301 business (MH)

All in, $1607 - $1710, vs. $2200 +/- nonstop (QF et al.)

JamesA Jun 17th, 2008 12:30 PM

moremiles - I used to fly Business and First all the time when on business, but since deciding to 'relax' and run my own business except for using some mileage to upgrade to Business I fly coach/economy. Luckily it's in the Asia Pacific region so some great airlines.
I have done flights with Singapore Airlines, Malaysia etc down to Australia from Singapore etc and honestly it never bothered me at all not flying Business.
Having to pay my own ( or family fares ) I personaly would not fly around one place to another to pick-up a cheap business routing as opposed to saving the money and simply flying Economy/Coach on SQ.

I think SIN-SYD non stop is something like 7hr 45, that's not bad, easy on the overnight ones, imagine total journey time going place to place ! they have 3 flights a day , 1 is A-380, I get an aisle seat if on my own and it's fine. Get one of the last row seats upper deck A380 and think of all that cash you have saved !!
I very much boubt you would enjoy flying 'up' to say BKK, 2 hrs 25, waiting for connection, then perhaps 9 hrs plus heading back down again. I certainly would not hop one to another.
SQ schedule both ways is great, daytimes of overnights.
Is you destination SYD itself ? because if it is elsewhere it opens lots of other options from SIN.
Why not use some miles if you have them, buy Y and use that to upgrade, even a one way on the return and then Y down.
Just some thoughts.

JamesA Jun 17th, 2008 12:32 PM

I haven't flown the A-380, done those with 777/744, but many places have mentioned the last few rows upper deck A380 Y as being good.

moremiles Jun 17th, 2008 01:37 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and I would love to fly the 380-still trying for a biz tkt using my UA miles-can't use them for an upgrade on SQ though.