Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Best time to make airline reservation for Christmas

Jun 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Trying to arrange multicity flights for Cleveland, Oahu, SanFran, Cleveland over Christmas/New years for family of four. When is the best time to make reservations for the best price? Any suggestion on airlines? Any one stop site for finding airline hubs? would like to avoid Chicago at all costs-often run into problems there. Thank you.
Jun 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Start looking yesterday -- orbitz, travelocity, etc to see schedules and which airlines serve your cities. Watch fares on multiple sites (individual airlines too) for a while to get a general sense and be ready to pounce when you see something good, because attractive fares have a way of disappearing quickly. Also sign up for alerts from the travel sites that will let you know when prices change.
Jun 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Also, you may want to consult farecast.com and ITA
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego
Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM

Also compare prices at www.cheapoair.com, www.bookingbuddy.com or similar sites. The best thing is to sign up for newsletters from cheapoair, orbitz, travelocity, priceline and compare prices.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:33 AM

Also try kayak,com using their multi-city function. They'll give you many options, including ones that avoid ORD. Not sure, but since CLE is a hub for CO and they fly to HNL and SFO, their schedules and prices might be pretty convenient.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:01 AM

I wouldn't delay booking these tickets in hopes of getting a really cheap fare.

If you check the places the other posters recommend and establish a ball park figure and see the trends, you may want to avoid going for the last ten percent. These are all airports that are going to be very busy over the holidays.

You may not be a perfectionist, but many people who ask about travel are (me included!!!).

So before you even start looking for fares, ask yourself: what is the most I am willing to pay to take my family to Oahu at Christmas? As soon as you find a flight that is cheaper than that, book it and don't look back. You can drive yourself crazy trying to save the last $50.

If you can't find a flight that meets your preset price, do you still want to take the trip? December 15- Jan 6 or so can be a very expensive time to fly.

Would you still want to take the trip if you knew you might have a weather delay in CLE that would make you a day or more late on the outbound leg, cutting your vacation short by a day or two? It happens all the time.

Don't mean to rain on the parade, but I have been through this kind of thing and offer this advice from my experience.
Jun 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Your insight is appreciated.
Jun 29th, 2007, 09:57 PM

I agree to start looking yesterday..rule of thumb for hawaii travel is 6 months in advance for all times of the year except for christmas should be looked at about 1 year in advance or as soon as possible..dont wait too long..not only will the flights be more expensive, but the closer you get the worse it gets...hotels book up very quickly in hawaii during the holidays..it's the busiest most expensive time to travel to hawaii...if waiting you may end up with only very expensive hotels left open or very cheap hotels left open. For you, maybe not so bad at this point being a family of 4..condos are hard to come by for christmas..also remember many properties have a min. night stay during the holidays which may make your selection even slimmer sometimes if not staying 5-7 nights! Hope that helps a little...my advice start looking and get something booked soon.