Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Best routing on AA or BA; BOS/PMO; Business Class Award tix for 2; May 2014

Nov 9th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

I have plenty of miles on AA; and 141000 on BA - and a free BA Chase companion voucher ("This voucher entitles you to book an extra seat for a companion to accompany you when travelling on any British Airways Mainline flight. Your companion will have to be booked in the same cabin as you. All you will have to pay is the taxes, fees and charges for you and your companion's ticket. Your voucher must be exchanged for a ticket and outbound travel must be taken before the expiry date on the voucher.") The voucher is valid until 2015, so no rush to use it.

We need to leave Boston no later than May 22; and return no sooner than Jun 7.

I can't seem to come up with any routing when I use the BA website; yet on AA I can make the trip going BOS/Germany/PMO (can't remember the exact routing - possibly through LHR). I don't know if I'm better off trying to use the companion voucher; or if I should try for a one-world 80M mile per ticket.

Help!
Cyn
Nov 9th, 2013, 08:04 AM
J62

From the airport website it appears as though BA does not fly to PMO with their own metal so you can't use the voucher.

For certain dates I can see an BA flight connecting in Germany on AirBerlin, but that won't work for the voucher.
Nov 9th, 2013, 08:04 AM

Actually quite challenging, as Oneworld's service into PMO is really lousy - only airberlin out of Zurich of all places. If you could live with flying into Catania (other side of the island) then BA has nonstop service from Gatwick; however that would require a dreadful cross-London transfer. And, since AA no longer flies BOS-LHR (all BA metal now under the AA/BA/IB joint business agreement) (a) you couldn't use the AA "Explorer" (formerly "Oneworld") 80K award since you wouldn't be using 2 non-AA carriers, which would bump you to the 100,000 mile conventional award; and (b) you'd have to pay BA's horrendous fuel surcharges for the trip, which would probably be in the $700 - $1000 range ON TOP of the miles. Meh.

I don't see a BOS-PMO routing that will fit in the mileage and carrier limitations for the 80K Explorer award (under 9000 flown miles, 2 non-AA OW members.) However there are several that would work with the 90K award, such as BOS-MAD-ZRH on Iberia followed by ZRH-PMO on airberlin (economy class only on that leg.) That would get you the two carriers, avoid (most of) the fuel surcharges (Iberia has them, but they're much lower than BA's) and you'd avoid the London shuffle. Iberia's longhaul business product is excellent, and changing at MAD is easy. BOS-MAD-ZRH-PMO-ZRH-MAD-BOS is around 9700 miles; if you caught the AA flight from Zurich to JFK, then Boston instead, it's around 100 miles shorter, but I'd probably use Iberia anyway.

Save the Avios for shorthaul US trips (no BA fuel fine) or for longhaul from the US to South America or Asia (again, no YQ surcharges.) Avoid BA metal on award bookings to make the most of your miles.
Nov 9th, 2013, 05:48 PM

Use extreme caution with Air Berlin. IIRC, laurieco was trying to fly to Palermo on an AA award ticket, used air Berlin, and ran into enormous aggravation when Air Berlin changed its schedule.
Nov 19th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input. Still messing around with this.

What about Bos/cta 5/21 (although this does use AB...)
and returning FCO/BOS

I'm thinking I should be able to get the 80 or 90M OW award ticket.

Does IB fly FCO to MAD? That would keep me off BA.
I used to be able to use the one world website to figure these flights out - but all I can find now is the around the world tool - it won't let me return across the same continent. Am I just beng blind? Can anyone provide me with the link to that tool?

Plus, AA is having major problems today! Makes planning fun, eh?
Nov 19th, 2013, 11:58 AM

You'll have to phone, but in order to avoid LHR and BA fuel fines, look at BOS IB MAD IB MUC AB CTA (Iberia to Madrid and Munich, then Airberlin to CTA.)

Returning try FCO IB MAD IB BOS.

9348 flown miles, hence a 90K Explorer award.

Here's the desktop Oneworld app - http://www.trvlink.com/download/onew...rlddesktop.exe

Use this for mileage calculations - http://gc.kls2.com/
Nov 29th, 2013, 02:16 PM

Fly to Naples and take the overnight ferry to Palermo. Best of all worlds, a day or two in Napoli, a comfy ferry cabin with shower en suite, then early morning arrival into Palermo! Depending upon time of year, you could also include a few days in the Aeolians. Heavenly! Fly out of Catania.
Nov 29th, 2013, 07:08 PM

CTA (Catania) is clear across to the other side of Sicily, and a long drive, maybe 3-4 hours or so. I doubt if there is public transport so car rental would be needed.

I would recommend getting to MXP or FCO on your free ticket and then a cheap flight down to PMO. Be careful as some of those cheapies fly into a secondary airport which is a long distance from PMO.
Nov 29th, 2013, 11:49 PM

If you are planning to travel from Palermo around the island, it's easy enough to plan an itinerary that ends in Catania. Or begins in Catania, for that matter.