Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Best hubs in Europe to access Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/best-hubs-in-europe-to-access-rome-653988/)

Hagan Oct 20th, 2006 06:53 AM

Best hubs in Europe to access Rome?

I've seen some good late winter fares to Frankfurt, London, Amsterdam, and many recommend flying in to one of these cities, then taking an intra-Europe flight to your final destination. However, I'm finding that the times are horrible (i.e., a 6:05 AM LGW to CIA, before most of the US planes have even arrived). Either that, or you have to wait until late in the evening. Also, I'm finding that the fares are quite high on the days I'd need them.

Has anyone done this in the past, and do you have any suggestions for the best hub to fly into with Rome as a final destination? Thanks.

wally34949 Oct 20th, 2006 07:34 AM

If you go to the website www.europebyair.com and hold your mouse on Rome in the maps section, there are budget flights to Rome from Athens, Madrid, Brussels and most of Italy.

Don't buy your ticket on this website. Instead, find out which airline flies there and go to the airlines website to book the flight. You will save money that way.

wally34949 Oct 20th, 2006 07:38 AM

I would try Brussels.

martytravels Oct 20th, 2006 05:46 PM

Even if it's not the shortest route distance-wise, accessing any European city is best thru Amsterdam-Schiphol is the best option, IMO, just because of the exceptional facilities and the relative speed of clearing immigration.

dutyfree Oct 20th, 2006 09:04 PM

Have you looked at American(Chicago and New York), Delta (Atlanta, New York and Cincinnati) or Continental(Newark) for nonstops from the US? Its sure alot easier.

Fabio Oct 21st, 2006 04:52 AM

As alternative to non-stop flights USA to Rome I would strongly recommend the hubs of Frankfurt or Munich with staralliance partners United/Lufthansa

ms_go Oct 21st, 2006 05:08 AM

For another Star Alliance option, United will also have non-stops from Dulles to Rome beginning April 1.

Hagan Oct 21st, 2006 12:04 PM

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I neglected to mention we live in the central Fl area so our options are fairly limited. We have NS to AMS on Martinair, to LGW with Virgin, to MAD with Iberia. There may be a few others I'm not aware of.

We'd love to fly to AMS, MAD, MUC and a few other places we've never visited, because we could end our stay with a few days in one of those cities. However, the connections to Rome are very slim. AMS has no budget flights to Rome, which surprises me.

Munich has the Blu-express, and that might work. We'd have to fly to Dulles, then on to Munich.

I'd love to see Barcelona, but they have ONE budget flight out a day, and that leaves before the plane arrives! Actually, that seems to be the problem with taking any of the budgets as a connection. They all either leave very early AM, or very late PM. We already have apt. reservations in Rome for March 16, and March 15 is the earliest we can leave home.

I'm beginning to feel like a flight detective - I'm on the hunt!

Fabio Oct 21st, 2006 03:37 PM

then try also USAir PHL-FCO, still within Star Alliance, or Lufthansa out of ATL or CLT

J62 Oct 21st, 2006 05:44 PM

I would not fly to a European hub then connect onward to Rome on a budget carrier.

1. many do NOT have interairline baggage agreements, which means you must claim your bags, then go back to checkin at the budget.

2. boarding pass - you will not get your XXX-FCO boarding pass in the US - again, you must checkin at XXX.

If at all possible I would book a flight all the way on one carrier (or alliance) through their European hub (AMS, MUC, FRA).

If something happens to your 1st leg then you are SOL with a budget carrier, but will be put on next avail flight by a regular airline.

Since you live in central FLA it sounds like you'll need to make a connection somewhere in the US anyway - to minimize legs try to make that to a gateway from which you can fly non-stop to FCO.

Hagan Oct 22nd, 2006 12:16 PM

J62, Yes, I understand what you're saying and it certainly makes sense.

Think I'll work on the US gateway, as you recommend. Thanks to all for your advice!

Fabio Oct 22nd, 2006 12:36 PM

by the other side you would miss to see one of those hub cities.
I would suggest you use the same alliace for a non stop flight from US on a way and an european hub on the other way !!
Example: FL to PHL to FCO with USAir and FCO-MUC-CLT to FL or viceversa !