Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Flights JFK-BKK and SGN-JFK for Flying Blue member?

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a trip in January, I am looking at either Korean Air via Seoul, or Delta, which uses Korean outbound and China Airlines for the return, via Taipei. The Delta-China Airlines flight is cheaper and the connection on the return, via Taipei, is one hour.

But I am puzzled because ChinaAir is not listed as a Skyteam member. If the Delta flights are operated by China Air on the return, would I get mileage points on Flying Blue? (My card is from Air France)

I did take Korean Air earlier this year; the flights were good (anything is better than economy) but I expected a bit more for Business class...food was only fair...and they are very strict with baggage allowance..

If any of you airline experts out there has a minute, could you tell me your thoughts? All flights being considered are business class for travel on a paid ticket.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:23 AM

China Airlines is not a Skyteam or Flying Blue partner. It's only a Delta partner. Even if the flight has a DL number, it still will not earn you any FB mile if it's operated by CI.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! That about settles the issue for me, as the next best price are the Korean flights via Seoul..
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Have you considered Northwest from the U.S. to Bangkok, and then Bangkok Airways onwards to Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City?
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

No.. I did not think of that option. Does NWA fly direct to BKK from JFK?

Thanks for the help...
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Northwest serve BKK from NRT. Continental (a Skyteam and NW partner) flies EWR-NRT.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Have you considered going the other way? Air France serves both destinations from Paris, and I don't think the total travel time is that much (if any) worse.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 12:27 AM

Thai Airways flies non-stop from JFK to BKK. You can then fly Thai to SGN.

United also flies to SGN, via HKG.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Bisbee..Thai would the ideal but I do not belong to that club. And if I am forking over so much money I thought it would be best to accrue miles..

TG: I did consider going AF via Paris, but my brief search turned up prices much higher in Biz Class than those on KoreanAir..

Rkkwan; I will look into the Continental/NW flights via Narita..but what are those airlines like for these flights..any idea?

I thank you all for your help..I am really a novice when it comes to airline ins and outs..don't ask me why I signed up for the AF club in the first place, but now I have so many miles (almost at Platinum status, if that helps here..) that it seems silly to begin anew with another alliance. (Although I also have an Iberia card with a few flights on it...)
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 01:45 PM

CO has a pretty decent BusinessFirst product on its 777-200. The seats are not totally flat, but very wide and generally comfortable. They're above what AA/UA/DL has until those airlines complete their conversion to lie-flat or flat beds.

NW also has a nice World Business Class product, and very good entertainment on its new 330-200 for NRT-BKK.

They are really no worse than AF/KL's business products.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Regarding being concerned about earning mileage on Thai, don't be so quick to write it off. If you were to credit to Lufthansa's miles and more, you would net close to 40k miles (you get double miles for business class). That is a pretty decent start on a Star Alliance award. And their flights are definitely the easiest option for your travel. Just a thought.