Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Best Fares Denver to Paris & Connecting Airports (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/best-fares-denver-to-paris-and-connecting-airports-811607/)

GraceCO Oct 24th, 2009 08:28 AM

Best Fares Denver to Paris & Connecting Airports

I am traveling to Paris and Aix-en-Provence from Denver with my son to visit my daughter who is studying in Aix. I need to decide between traveling 11/17-11/24 or 12/1 through 12/8. The fares on cheap-o-air seem to be the best ($682.67) for the Dec. dates. Are there other sites you could recommend?

Also, the connecting flights are either through Chicago (ORD) or Dulles. Weather issues are always a concern, esp in Dec. Removing weather from the equation, which airport is easiest to navigate?

Thank you in advance...Grace

CarolA Oct 24th, 2009 10:44 AM

I think that's a great fare. Don't get too greedy.

I actually like ORD better, but it's a trade off either way. Dulles uses those AWFUL "people movers" to get you too and from the plane and I dislike those

mrwunrfl Oct 24th, 2009 11:30 AM

That sounds like it is on United. Are you sure it is $682 and not $862? The all-in price at united.com is $862.80 for both pairs of dates.

EricH Oct 24th, 2009 12:16 PM

IAD's people movers operate between the main and mid-field terminals. Your connections will be within the C/D terminal.

And, FYI, the people movers will be going out of business as soon as the new train system passes its reliability tests. Nonconnecting international arrivals will be the only ones to use them after that.

yestravel Oct 24th, 2009 12:59 PM

Weather for the dates u mentioned in November and December will likely not be a problem in IAD. For that reason I would go thru IAD. As mentioned u will be in terminal C and/or D so u won't have to go thru the main terminal.
And, Yay! finally those awful people mover shuttles @ IAD will be out of business, hopefully in the early part of 2010 per the WPost.
Enjoy your trip.

patandhank Oct 24th, 2009 01:48 PM

I like to use www.kayak.com simply because it will list several airlines so if you're looking for another comparison website try this one.

GraceCO Oct 24th, 2009 02:33 PM

I re-checked the fare and it's $682.67 with fees & taxes included. Sounds like Dulles is the way to go...Thank you!

I was in Paris in late August and paid $1200 on NW/Delta. The Delta portion was so bad through Atlanta, that I will never fly them again...

letsgo39 Oct 24th, 2009 05:59 PM

Also check out www.1800flyeurope.com After much searching I found they had the cheapest airfare to Paris and just booked my EVV to CDG ticket using that web site on the recommendation of several posters on here.I really like the United terminal in Chicago and have flown out of it many times.

GraceCO Oct 25th, 2009 10:29 AM

letsgo39, thank you for the recommendation. I'm torn between the ORD or IAD connections. At ORD, for the domestic portion, does it require transferring to another terminal?

ms_go Oct 25th, 2009 10:51 AM

On the outbound flights, you will transfer from domestic to international all in the same terminal, Terminal 1. Very easy. On the return though, you'll need to transfer from the international terminal (T5) to your domestic flight out of T1. I like the ORD facilities better than those at Dulles, but I'm not sure it makes much difference in this case--the weather could be an issue at any one of the three airports, or not. I've had worse weather delays at Dulles and Denver this year than any of my trips in/out of Chicago (my home airport), but we all know what can happen here on any given day.

GraceCO Oct 31st, 2009 06:39 AM

Thank you all for your posts. I wound up booking a UA flight to Paris CDG through Chicago at a great fare--$639.00. Found it on a website called cheapoair (www.cheapoair.com)-- awful name, but it's branded well;-)