Lufthansa to Amsterdam

Search

Lufthansa to Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lufthansa to Amsterdam

Does anyone know if one can reserve any type of Premium Economy on Lufthansa? We are trying to get to Amsterdam next May, and Lufthansa thru Munich, and return thru Frankfurt is a good possibility. At our ages, we really prefer some sort of extra comfort, but can't afford Business class.

Any ideas, comments? Thanks.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM

I believe Lufthansa offers only 3-class service, which means no premium economy nor economy plus. However, some of Lufthansa's transatlantic flights are operated by United, which does offer Economy Plus. This is not a separate cabin but a seating area in the front of the economy cabin. Seats have extra legroom, up to 5 inches more depending upon the aircraft. Economy Plus seating can be purchased in advance.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 12:36 PM

If you are looking for more comfort and/or shorter flight duration, have you considered Icelandair connecting in Reykjavik, then nonstop to Amsterdam? They offer Economy Comfort class, including full service and flexibility, a small separate cabin with business class seats, 33" seat pitch, 2+2 seating, priority check-in, lounge access.

JFK to Reykjavik flight duration approximately 6 hours. Reykjavik to Amsterdam flight duration approximately 3 hours. Connection time is good, or you can stop over in Iceland for no additional charge.

Here's a link: http://www.icelandair.us/
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Julia. I have now talked to friends who just did the Icelandic flight to Europe, and they went Economy Comfort. They are older, as we are. They found it not so special, but they did say if they did it again, they would fly Icelandic business class, which is cheaper than other airlines business class by quite a bit.

I will look at United to see what is available.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM

I just booked last week Business class on delta may 2013 tpa to fra with a connection at dtw 1798.00 total. Not much more than e+ and lay flat seats. Last 2 years i paid 2200.00. check it out jayvee
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Wow. I took a look and am now confused. Are you flying "economy comfort" or "business elite?"

I was given price of about $1600 each for economy comfort, and. Little over $2000 each for business elite. Would love to have clarification. Thanks
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 01:29 AM

I am flying business elite. From tpa to dtw first class. dtw to fra business elite same on return trip . jayvee
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, jayvee. Have you flown Delta business before? How are they?
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Another question, jayvee or anyone:

does anyone know the difference between the various letters attached to Business Class choices on Delta? (When choosing a class, they list several different business classes, each with a different lower case letter in parenthesis next to each?

Is that just about the flexibility and changeability of each one?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:44 AM

Letters in the parenthesis indicates fare classes. There's no difference in product and service, but they can have different change fees and refund/cancellation policies. And though all classes (J, C, I, D & S) earn the same Skymiles and Medallion Qualification miles in DL's own program, they may have different earning rates if crediting towards a partner's FF program.

For example, if crediting miles to AF/KL's Flying Blue, J & C earns 175%, I & D earns 150% and S earns 125%. Other partners are most likely different. You have to check with that particular FF program.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 09:27 AM

I have flown Delta BusinessElite. Inflight services are nice. Seating differs widely across their long-haul fleet.

<u>Recliner seating</u> is just as you would expect, a recliner similar to what you might have at home, though not as roomy and seating not as soft as you might find in the at-home version of a recliner. I fly Delta BusinessElite equipped with this seat frequently to Tokyo. (I think they are actually old Northwest equipment.) OK for comfort, seats somewhat narrow for a premium product in my opinion, because Delta fits in six seats abreast. Best if you can get a bulkhead seat by the window for more legroom. Or sit in center section to have easy aisle access.

<u>Angled lie-flat seats</u>, often described as having 180-degree recline, are angled, not fully horizontal when reclined. They are comfortable for relaxing, watching video, etc, when partially reclined. Not great for sleeping because you tend to slide downward, especially if you try to lie on your side. Best if you get a bulkhead seat. Seats recline back into floor space of person behind, making it difficult for passengers in rows behind the bulkhead row to get out. I fly Delta planes equipped with this style BusinessElite from Tokyo to Bangkok frequently.

<u>Lie-flat seating</u> is just as it's name describes. There is an older and a newer version. I have flown BusinessElite equipped with this style seating to London and get a good night's sleep.

When reserving online, you will find icons pertaining to the style of seating available on the flights you choose.

I see Delta is currently offering non-stop BusinessElite service Newark to Amsterdam for just under $1600. Recliner seating.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great detail!
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 04:04 PM

Here is a link I received from The Frequent Business Traveler. The linked article is a guide to Premium Economy services offered by five domestic US airlines and 12 international airlines.

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....emium-economy/

I will also post this to a new topic as others may find it helpful.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Julia. Lots of excellent info here. It is a confusing subject.