Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Best Airline for Trip to Istanbul (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/best-airline-for-trip-to-istanbul-1004268/)

morninglory8 Jan 28th, 2014 05:05 PM

Best Airline for Trip to Istanbul

I am planning to stop in Istanbul on my way to Israel in June. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best flight ? I live in Maryland, and can easily fly from Philadelphia, or Washington . I am just looking at flights to Istanbul and back, I have travel arrangements to Israel in place.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Sassafrass Jan 28th, 2014 05:16 PM

We flew Turkish Air RT from Dulles to Istanbul. It was probably the best flights we have had in years, so that would be my first choice, though I hate driving to/from Dulles.

morninglory8 Jan 28th, 2014 05:30 PM

Thanks for your input. I was apprehensive about flying Turkish Air, so appreciate your comments.

amer_can Jan 28th, 2014 06:07 PM

T.A. was great for us when we had to be rerouted. The trip on T.A. was an unexpected surprise and very enjoyable..Would fly them again!

sparkchaser Jan 28th, 2014 11:50 PM

Are you a member of any FF program?

morninglory8 Jan 29th, 2014 09:12 AM

yes, delta, and british air. I am checking them, and would rather fly British Air if I could make it work.

amer_can Jan 29th, 2014 10:59 AM

Watch out for BA fuel charges they can be a deal breaker!!

kuranosuke Jan 29th, 2014 04:28 PM

how about ua via fra or muc?

Bamaman Feb 1st, 2014 04:11 PM

I'm hearing very nice things about the flight experience on Turkish Airlines. Many are traveling to Europe through Istanbul for bargain prices.

Debs Feb 7th, 2014 12:50 PM

Another vote for Turkish Air. Hands down one of our favorite airlines. Have flown both international and domestic (within Turkey) and never disappointed with their service. Go for it!

cabovacation Feb 16th, 2014 07:23 AM

T.A. is the best!

mowmow Feb 18th, 2014 07:36 PM

Turkish Airlines caters to an upscale Turkish clientele, so they are a little nicer than the American carriers.

They serve wine and yummy cherry juice in coach, and give out a cute little overnight packet.

They are very helpful, kind, and the stewardesses come around constantly but let you sleep on overnighters.

Good flight experience. Beats AA by a mile.

ElegantTraveller Feb 22nd, 2014 08:15 AM

Turkish Airlines. Much better service & amenities than American airlines, also in economy. The price is usually quite good, too.
You can not even compare it to any US carrier - so much better.

kwood1955 Mar 8th, 2014 05:12 AM

Wow! I was just going to post the same question. I'm impressed with Turkish Air's prices and schedule. Glad to hear the flights are pleasant.

Also, Turkish Air is a partner to United, so can get United mileage points.

Thanks, again, everybody for the great information!

cobbie2 Mar 8th, 2014 06:16 AM

Turkish Air is great but don't count on getting United Mileage points. Evidently our ticket class was too low to get the UA mileage points.

kwood1955 Mar 8th, 2014 07:07 AM

Thanks, cobbie2. Sorry it didn't work for you. Good information.

kuranosuke Mar 8th, 2014 07:17 AM

i recently flew from muc to ist, and ist to fra on turkish air, had a great flt, both ways. full meal, and drinks both ways. much better than ua on identical distances.

jacketwatch Mar 8th, 2014 01:43 PM

I vote TA as well and they have very good reviews.