Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Belfast International Airport (BFS) -- I Never Imagined ...

Mar 26th, 2019, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

I had booked this leg of my trip as one itinerary via Kiwi.com:

EasyJet (from BFS to London’s Stansted) -- and Ryan Air (from Stansted to Oslo).

I arrived at BFS more than 2 hours early and found the most horrendous lines to get to security. After more than 90 minutes in line to even reach the checkpoint, DH and I missed our flights.

The gate agent told us (24) passengers missed that flight because of the delays at security, and that countless passengers were missing other flights. She told us to instruct the EasyJet agent to rebook us, as missing the flight had not been our fault.

HA! The EasyJet agent couldn’t have cared less. There was no option but to book new tickets for both the flight to London – and the flight to Oslo -- at a cost of $922 (for both of us).

FYI, our original tickets had been purchased for a total of $254 (USD) including priority boarding and luggage – for both of us. So our $254 flights were now costing us $1,176. In addition to the aggravation and stress, I arrived in Oslo at 11 PM -- eight hours later than planned – and had to be ready for work at 7 AM.

When I returned home I spent half a day writing letters of complaint to both airlines and Kiwi. None of them was willing to offer any compensation. But I had been given a sheet of paper by the EasyJet agent (when we checked luggage for the rebooked flight). It stated that if you had problems as a result of delays at security, contact the airport, and it provided an email address. So, I wrote one more email.

The next morning, the head of security of BFS responded with a sincere apology – and stated that we will be reimbursed for the complete cost of the new tickets we booked as a result of their delay ($922)!
Honestly, I never imagined that outcome. Pretty surprising, huh?

PS. Northern Ireland’s Antrim Coast is absolutely stunning. This was my 12th trip there (work-related) and the beauty never stops amazing me.

Mar 27th, 2019, 08:36 AM

How awful, glad you are getting your money back. Low cost flights should not be combined as a connection IMO, Kiwi might have sold it as one itinerary but it was two separate tickets. Easyjet are starting to sell connections but only when all flights are on them. And Ryanair requires that you get your boarding pass stamped landside if you are not EU/EEA passport holders. I've seen Americans turned away at the gate for not complying with that requirement. Stansted is another horror story, I've yet to have experience a trouble free journey through Stansted, last time I was there the terminal was closed due to a fire alarm, once the doors were reopened, it was a stampede and panic to get thru security, a very unpleasant airport in the middle of nowhere.
Mar 27th, 2019, 05:13 PM
P_M

Songdoc, you and I should be travel pals. We both love Kauai and the Antrim coast of Northern Ireland. DH and I made the drive from Belfast to Portrush on a gorgeous sunny day and we spent the night in Portrush. The next day was equally gorgeous so we cut through the interior and made the coastal drive a second time. Crazy huh? That's the only time we have ever repeated a drive the next day but we just couldn't get enough of that scenery. We really loved seeing the Giant's Causeway and the Rope Bridge.

But back to your post, sorry for all of the trouble and aggravation and thanks for posting.
Mar 27th, 2019, 06:35 PM

Songdoc, that is quite a story! And an unexpected happy ending.

Welcome home.
Mar 27th, 2019, 08:17 PM

Bloody hell, that are some amazing views! In my next life I want to be your (stay at home and travel as pampered companion) DH, songdoc.
Mar 27th, 2019, 08:20 PM

Why are you writing to Ryanair? How is any of this any of their fault?

The other thing is neither airline likes third parties. No idea why you bought your ticket from Kiwi but that doesn't help.
Mar 28th, 2019, 07:31 AM
P_M

Seamus back off, I proposed to him after my trip to Kauai. He's MINE!!
Mar 28th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

<In my next life I want to be your (stay at home and travel as pampered companion) DH, songdoc.

>

<Seamus back off, I proposed to him after my trip to Kauai. He's MINE!! [img]blob:https://www.fodors.com/67e5eacf-6157-4e9b-88e3-bf34b9883012[/img]>

HA! You’re both hilarious!

But be forewarned: DH won’t give up without a fight. We’re celebrating 25 years this week – and he knows a good thing! ;-)

Traveler Nick: Of course RyanAir is not responsible. Neither is EasyJet. I wrote RyanAir in the (slim) hopes they would take pity since the security line was so bad it made the evening news, and I called many hours before the flight to let them know I would not be on the flight, and the reason why. I didn’t really expect them to care, but I held a tiny hope that they might reimburse the cost of the unused flight. I doesn’t hurt to try.

I booked through Kiwi because there were no single-ticket flights that worked with my schedule—and did not entail a very long layover (i.e., 10 hours). When booking two separate tickets on one itinerary, Kiwi guarantees that they will reimburse your cost of rebooking if you miss the second flight due to the first flight being delayed. That seemed better than buying two separate tickets and having no recourse if I missed the second flight due the first being delayed. I can’t imagine I would have gotten any different outcome if I had booked the two flights directly through EasyJet and RyanAir.
Mar 29th, 2019, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Songdoc View Post
I booked through Kiwi because there were no single-ticket flights that worked with my schedule—and did not entail a very long layover (i.e., 10 hours). When booking two separate tickets on one itinerary, Kiwi guarantees that they will reimburse your cost of rebooking if you miss the second flight due to the first flight being delayed. That seemed better than buying two separate tickets and having no recourse if I missed the second flight due the first being delayed. I can’t imagine I would have gotten any different outcome if I had booked the two flights directly through EasyJet and RyanAir.
Understood, and yes if you booked separately it wouldn't have changed the chaos at the airport. Seems like a good deal if Kiwi protects the connection so they should have reimbursed you and help you get rebooked.

Mar 29th, 2019, 04:14 AM

I love your pictures, NI is beautiful. Did they say why security was baked up?
Mar 29th, 2019, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Macross: The gate agent said it was routinely like that. But I don't think that can be the case -- or it wouldn't have been on there evening news!
Thanks for the nice comment about the N.I. pix. It's a gorgeous area. The Giant's Causeway is also fantastic, as are the Glens of Antrim. I've been to them many times, so I didn't go this time.
Mar 29th, 2019, 06:17 PM

< We’re celebrating 25 years this week >

Congrats! You've got us beat by six years. But note I did specify in my next life - I ain't no homewrecker, unlike some o' them Austin hussies (not to mention any names....)
Mar 29th, 2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Songdoc View Post
I can’t imagine I would have gotten any different outcome if I had booked the two flights directly through EasyJet and RyanAir.
Maybe not but you're guaranteed to get no help if you book via a third party site.
Mar 30th, 2019, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick View Post
Maybe not but you're guaranteed to get no help if you book via a third party site.
That's not true though, is it. The OP states (and so does the Kiwi website) that Kiwi guarantees that they will reimburse your cost of rebooking if you miss the second flight due to the first flight being delayed. But the first flight was not delayed, the issue was the airport. Most airlines couldn't care less if you stood in line for hours, whether at bag drop or security and missed the flight, they often won't help.
Mar 30th, 2019, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
< We’re celebrating 25 years this week >

Congrats! You've got us beat by six years. But note I did specify in my next life - I ain't no homewrecker, unlike some o' them Austin hussies (not to mention any names....)
HA!
Mar 30th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Odin: Yes. You get it!
Apr 1st, 2019, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

The airport transferred the $$$. I'm still amazed!
Apr 3rd, 2019, 05:28 AM

Those airport photos reminded me of our last trip through KEF in Iceland...but in the departure lounge.

I'm glad you had a good outcome. And your photos are beautiful!
Apr 3rd, 2019, 08:38 AM

That was an amazing outcome, and it was the airport's fault.

I don't know why you'd complain to the airline, either, it's not their fault you didn't get there in enough time for security, that isn't their responsbility. Following that logic, someone who arrived 45 min ahead and didn't get through could complain. telling someone an airline will pay you whenever "it isn't your fault" is bogus. I don't know of any airline that just rebooks someone who gets there late because they didn't allow enough time for security.
Apr 3rd, 2019, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

<I don't know of any airline that just rebooks someone who gets there late because they didn't allow enough time for security.>

Of course no airline is responsible if you show up late. But spending 2 hours just to get through the security line is not showing up "late" -- when the recommended time to arrive at the airport is 2 hours before the flight. I sent letters to apprise all the affected parties of the situation. I'm just glad the airport is paying -- not just for my bank account, but so they will be extra aware of the severity of the problem and will hopefully rectify it..

Melnq8: Hi! Thanks for the nice comment about the pix. So sorry about Iceland!