Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

BA World Traveller Plus v Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy

Aug 4th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

We are travelling to Hawaii via Las Vegas and returning via San Francisco. In order for my husband to get extra leg room and seat width, we are planning to fly either BA World Traveller Plus or Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy for the transatlantic sections. Although the route and flight times are better with Virgin as BA do not offer the service to Las Vegas, I would welcome any comments about which is more comfortable, etc.
Aug 4th, 2005, 02:04 PM

If fares are similar, I'd go with Virgin as they operate 747's with upper deck PE seating on the SFO and LAS flights. Get an advance seat assignment upstairs and then get to the airport early and request exit row seating - on the LHR configuration from SFO this will be row 70 upstairs and on the LGW configuration to LAS, row 75. Virtually unlimited legroom in these rows. The FA's will sit across from you next to the emergency exit but this is only at takeoff and landing. I assume that flying out of/into two different airports in London (LGW/LHR) is not a problem for you, right?
Aug 4th, 2005, 04:35 PM

I took BA WT Plus from Tampa-London-Tampa and it really was nothing special at all. I have flown Virgin, both Upper Class Suite (superb) and regular economy (terrible)
Aug 4th, 2005, 04:43 PM

I have flown neither, but most people I've heard prefer VS' PE, like Patty. Also, I believe VS has seperate check-in counters, preferred boarding, etc, for PE passengers, while BA doesn't.
Aug 5th, 2005, 09:26 AM

I have flown both and I would recommend BA's product over Virgins.

Virgin offers pre flight champagne, BA does not. However

IMO the BA seat is better - it has leg support. Propper power for your laptop.

The luggage allowance on BA is greater than virgin

On some aircraft Virgin still has ridiculously tiny seat back IFE screens - about 3" x 4" - I just couldn't believe that ANYONE could watch anything on these screens.

Otherwise the service is IMO similar - separate cabin, separate check in, priority meal service etc.

Aug 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Oops, Sorry Virgin does have priority access to the aircraft.
Aug 5th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Virgin has a couple of different types of PE seats. IMO the newer ones are more comfortable but the older ones have leg rests as well. Also the newer seats have in seat power, but yes it is a bit of toss up which one you get.

Does BA offer dedicated check-in for WT+ passengers at all airports now? I know it's been reported at some airports but didn't think it was an official perk (yet). It would be nice to see it offered uniformly.
Aug 6th, 2005, 01:04 AM

Virgin doesn't have leg rests / leg support on all its PE seats! - they might have foot rests - but on the airbus I recently took to and from Johannesburg in PE the seats only had a foot rest - definately no leg support!