BA or Cathay Business Class ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Shanghai in May and I'd like to use my air miles in going Business Class.
Has anyone got an opinion as to who is better...BA or Cathay Pacific ??.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:54 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
From where?
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

From London Heathrow..
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:01 PM

BA as they do direct flights
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I prefer CX's business class to BA's in general, but from London on CX you'd have to change planes in Hong Kong and then take their regional business class to Shanghai. BA on the other hand have nonstops, albeit on 777s which may or may not by that time have "new" Club World (actually new new CW) installed. I suppose I'd go with BA for the more direct routing.

Another alternative that you could probably use your miles on would be Finnair from Helsinki to Shanghai. Finnair's new business product has had some very favorable reviews, and HEL is a nice little airport.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:36 AM

I haven't flown Cathay business class in a few years, so I don't know if they've upgraded their product to provide a fully flat bed on all of its routes. You might want to have a look at the discussion threads for Cathay's frequent flyer programme on flyertalk.com. The frequent travellers there likely will know exactly which routes will have the new business class and when they'll have it. If they still have only their old-style business class on your route when you plan to travel, then if I were you I'd opt for BA instead because it has a fully flat bed. Otherwise, I'd go for Cathay because I think the service is better.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:12 AM

I think it might depend on your priorities.

If you are most interested in a good night's sleep, I'd recommend BA. Their seats are completely flat (horizontal), and I find them to be extremely comfortable for sleeping. CX, on the other hand, have the angled seats -- I don't sleep on those nearly as well.

If food and attentiveness of flight attendants is a more important priority, then CX wins. While the service obviously varies from one flight crew to the next, my experience is that CX is likely to have the better service.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Hi ...

The only question I would have is whether BA will have any availability for air mile rewards in business class for may - they only release a few seats per flight & they get booked quickly.

Mark