Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   BA carry-on rules (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/ba-carry-on-rules-461652/)

Operaman Jul 22nd, 2004 09:29 AM

BA carry-on rules

I will be flying BA from LHR to Vienna in August and wonder how strict BA is with their rules regarding carry-on articles. I have a notebook computer and want to bring a carry-on bag as well, however; BA's site states that they limit you in coach to just one caary-on. Anybody have any experience with this?

mikemo Jul 28th, 2004 10:26 AM

size and weight matter. Legitimate contents do not.
M

nibblette Jul 29th, 2004 12:25 PM

BA is very strict on the weight of the carry-ons. They only allow 6kg in economy class (more in business and first) even if it meets size criteria. They will allow one personal item in addition to the carry-on, provided it is not large. If you're notebook computer case is the size of a small briefcase, it'll probably be OK.

Kate_W Jul 29th, 2004 01:49 PM

If both articles are medium-sized (e.g. a daypack and a medium-sized computer bag), you might want to look into a single bag that holds both. I have a great padded notebook envelope that slips into my 35 litre North Face backpack. I stuff it into the backpack and get on the plane, and then take it out when I sit down. It has a handle, so I can carry the two bags separately if I wanted to.

lisale Aug 3rd, 2004 01:11 PM

Operaman,
We just returned from a trip that included a BA flight from SFO-LHR then a week later a LHR-CPH and then returning CPH-LHR-SFO 3 weeks later. I was very concerned about the carry-on limitations. I had called BA and they said they were very strict about it. I had also read posts that stated the seriousness of the restriction.
I worked very hard to keep everyone's carry-on within the weight limit, but I am here to tell you that on every flight people carried on 2-3 bags including 22 inch suitcases. On the return flight, I had a carry-on, a large shopping bag and a box with a handle to carry stuffed animals my daughter bought at Hamley's. No one said anything to anyone about what they were carrying. All of the flights were filled to capacity.
So I guess what I am saying is that I wouldn't want to take a chance that they refused to allow your carry-on, but I wouldn't worry too much about being a little bit over.

Louise Aug 3rd, 2004 01:23 PM

I think I may have replied about this before but I got "jumped" all over because my 18" carryon bag was overweight. Nothing special in it just what one might carry if their checkin didn't show up. I had already checked my carryon through at a previous airport so was a little upset. But, everything turned out great as we were upgraded for free which allowed us more weight for the carryon. Don't have a clue why we were so lucky except for the fact we were there about three hours early or could be I think the fellow thought my niece was kind of cute. I just wouldn't take any chances again. I think it is 13# for World Traveler which isn't much anymore with wheels and handles on bags.

Operaman Aug 3rd, 2004 03:27 PM

lisale;
Thanks for the information. I will be flying into LHR on United from SFO and then will be catching a BA flight to Vienna. Same for the return and that is the one I am concerned with. I would like to have the additional carry-on for all of the chocolate and liquor I will be bringing back!

Walter_Walltotti Aug 7th, 2004 08:11 AM

Would agree with the observations of other posters.

BA say they are very strict but practice seems to be a little different - at the moment.

In my experience, regardless of whether the flight is full it is more often the airport (and it's ground staff) that seem to inforce cabin and check-in weight / size rules as opposed to a specific airline. (Hong Kong seems quite strict - you definately get the once over when going from check in to the departure lounge - That said I've still gone on with two bags and a camera case)